We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trains

Roscommon, Ireland
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
trains

we are trying to travel from colombo to kandy by train and we undertand that there is an early morning express train, is this still the case?. we are coming from negombo so we need to know how far it is to the station? do we need to book seats in advance of leaving our country or can this be arrange in negombo.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trains

I believe the 7am ICE train is still running.

How do you intend to get from Negombo to Colombo?

Seats can only be reserved maximum 10 days in advance.

Hans

Roscommon, Ireland
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trains

thinking of taxi and how much would it cost and travel time. can train seats be booked from outside the country?

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trains

A taxi from Negombo to Colombo will cost LKR 2,000-2,500. Travel time could be anything between 70 and 120 minutes in the morning rush hours.

Train seats can't be booked from outside Sri Lanka. Seats on ICE trains (Colombo-Kandy) can only be reserved by calling Mobitel Call Center (short code 365) or by visiting Colombo, Gampaha, Peradeniya or Kandy Stations. I also learnt that seat reservation on ICE trains can be done up to 28 days in advance.

Hans

Colchester
Level Contributor
898 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trains

Hans, your mention of the Mobitel reservation system for the Inter City Express is interesting and a new one on me. I know that the ICE booking system has been computerised but could you say a little more about booking through Mobitel?

Thanks,

David

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trains

David,

I just found the information on Sri Lanka Railways website:

www.railway.gov.lk/news_and_events_more.php…

Hans

Colchester
Level Contributor
898 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trains

Thanks Hans, would be interesting to give it a try and see if it works!

David.

7. Re: trains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2011, 07:19