We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from kandy to Nuwera Eliya

England
Level Contributor
171 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Train from kandy to Nuwera Eliya

Appologies because i have asked this question previously but am still a little confused-)

I was wanting to travel from kandy to nuwera eliya but am confused by the details on the trains web site?

There appears to be only 1 train at 3:30am from kandy via badulla to nanyuoya arriving at 9:02am!

It appears that this is the only train but is too early a journey?

Is there any other options via train

Is it normally a 6hr journey?

Can you purchase tickets on the day?

What is the journey like?

Sorry about all the questions and thanks in advance?

Andrew

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from kandy to Nuwera Eliya

Hi Andrew,

Yes, you are confused.

When I travel that route I like the train time that allows me to have a good breakfast and then travel.

The train Comes up from Colombo and stops at Peradeniya station, NOT KANDY station. Peradeniya is a sort of suburb of Kandy , a few kilometres from the Kandy city centre.

I just checked the time table and now I'm confused.. There's a shuttle train which runs from Kandy, leaving about 08:20 and gets you to Peradeniya in time to catch the hill country train coming up from Colombo.

I'm confused because the railway time table gives me the time of the shuttle train getting into Peradeniya as being after the Colombo / Hill country train has gone through.

I know thats wrong because I've caught that train many times and it's usually been about a 10 to 15 minute wait in Peradeniya.

So, you can get from Colombo centre to Peradeniya by shuttle train,, tuk tuk.. taxi,, or bus. As long as you're in Peradeniya by 08:30 you'll be in time.

The train from Peradeniya is listed to leave Peradeniya at 08:40 and arrive at Nanu Oya at 12:27... although , in my experience it's usually a bit late .

Going from Kandy to Nanu Oya, ( Newara Eliya ) you don't go via Badulla. Badulla is at the extreme end of the mountain railway, a long way past Nanu Oya.

Just turn up at Kandy or Peradeniya a few minutes before the train is due and buy your ticket at the little ticket window.

That section is not the most scenic , for that you want to stay on the train and travel as far as Ella. Another 2 1/2 to 3 hours onward from Nanu Oya. However, some stretches on the Kandy Nanu Oya run are scenic

What is the journey like ?

I love the trains .. As well as it being a good way of seeing scenery that you can't see from any road, it's also a great place to meet local people. They love to chat so do make a point of smiling at everyone and saying hello. There's almost always someone that can speak enough English and enjoys practising.

And, do try some of the goods being sold by the wadiwadiman. All sorts of snacks, king coconuts, chiilied peanuts, etc. They'll be up and down the train all through your trip.

Reading back through that , I hope it's made things a little clearer for you. Come back if it doesn't an I or someone else will try again.

Rod.

Mentioned in this post
Colombo
Colombo
Western Province, Sri Lanka
England
Level Contributor
171 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from kandy to Nuwera Eliya

Hi Rod

Cheers mate for the great info.

Just to double check I need to catch the train from Peradeniya,llisted to leave Peradeniya at 08:40 and arrive at Nanu Oya at 12:27?

So need to be at the station 30 mins earlier to be on the safe side?

How far in a tuk tuk is

Nuwera eliya (tea factory to be precise)?

Thanks again?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
58,616 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from kandy to Nuwera Eliya

Hi there,

Yes that's the long-distance train to take.

Nanu Oya to Eliya town is about 8 km so in a tuktuk maybe 20 mins; Tea Factory hotel is almost on the opposite side of Eliya and 6 km from town, so another 15-20 mins of which the last part is quite steep uphill on a bad road so slooooow....

Have fun,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from kandy to Nuwera Eliya

Hi,

Tea Factory Hotel is located in Kandapola - about 10-12 km outside N'Eliya.

The distance from Nanu Oya railway station to Tea Factory Hotel is about 20 km.

Hans

England
Level Contributor
171 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from kandy to Nuwera Eliya

Fantastic info and thanks for the quick response:-)

6. Re: Train from kandy to Nuwera Eliya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2011, 05:18