We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adams Peak

Israel
Level Contributor
32 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Adams Peak

We have a tight schedule that will not allow us to climb Adams Peak. Is it worth the travel to a close-by location just for the view of the Peak, without the climb?

Thanks,

Ben

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Adams Peak

Hi Ben,

although the scenery around there is great, as you are on a tight schedule and presumably travelling through the hill country, I'd opt for an alternatve which you could fit in.

Ella and Haputale are also extremely popular places with amazing scenery so if you're stopping over at or travelling through one of those places you could enjoy either of them.

Haputale, the walk up to Liptons Seat , through the tea plantations and with great mountain scenery is excellent.

In Ella, a similar walk through tea plantations and up to Little Adams peak , also surrounded by beautiful mountain scenery is a good alternative.

Both of these are much more accessible than Adams peak and much less time consuming.

I was sat on top of Little Adams peak earlier this year and got chatting to the onlyn other person around. A young American guy.

He was so taken by Little Adams Peak that he said, he actually enjoyed it far more than the main Adams peak , which he'd climbed 2 days previously, as the views were spectacular and it was much more peaceful and serene .

Rod.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,631 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Adams Peak

Opinions would vary on this. Sue is probably pro and we are con: you don't get a good close enough view of the Peak until you're halfway the climb. Dalhousie and surrounding areas are a nice part of the hill country, but we rate it (including the views) a bit less than e.g. Haputale/Ella mountain ridge.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,497 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Adams Peak

Yes you're right Erik. There's nowhere in the hill country that compares to the Adam's Peak area to me. Its "remoteness" might be part of its charm, but the main attraction for me is the stunning scenery, close up encounters with tea pickers, turquoise lakes and I also love the fascinating local Tamil town of Maskeliya. It's not the view of Adam's Peak that you need to go for, although that is a bonus. The diversity of flora and fauna you encounter as you walk in the lower slopes far exceeds what you see in or around Ella or Haputale .. much as I like those places too. And to see the peak lit up during the pilgrimage months is a sight you'll never forget .. all those lights snaking up the side of the mountain. It's a magical place.

Sue

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,898 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Adams Peak

Just back from first time at Adam's Peak and I agree with Sue. The differences in the environment offer interesting surprises. I was amazed by the number of different birds that I saw and also unexpected flowers such as fuschia and even cacti growing on the lower part of the slope. If you are a people observer then this place is rich with opportunities too..

5. Re: Adams Peak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2011, 05:22