We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Esala Maha Perahera 2011 in Kandy

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
257 posts
241 reviews
Save Topic
Esala Maha Perahera 2011 in Kandy

I have a stopover in Colombo on our way from Dubai to Singapore and am planing to spend time in Sri Lanka (presently looking for ideas on where to go for this short period) from 2-4 Aug. I notice that the Esala Maha Perahera is on during this time. On 3.Aug, the programme says that the 'Perahera of the Four Devalas' will be taking place.

Can anyone tell me if it is worth making the trip up there to see this. I know that the last Perahera is the most spectacular but we can't stay till 14 Aug. We could extend our stay by one more night if necessary.

Thanks for any suggestions including other places to go if not to Kandy eg. nice beach not too far from airport.

Colchester
Level Contributor
898 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Esala Maha Perahera 2011 in Kandy

In actual fact, the street parades really start to get going on the next night (4th August) and build to a climax from then on.

However, Kandy would generally be a very good destination for a couple of days as it is quite easy to get to from the airport, without having to go through Colombo. Once there, lots to see and do in and around the city - Peradeniya Gardens, Tea Estates, Temples, market, elephant orphanage. There is a good range of accommodation from guest houses to upmarket hotels. Being fairly compact Kandy is easy to get around.

The only drawbacks for you would be not being there on 4th and the premiums charged by hotels and guest houses during this period. However, for my money, Kandy would provide a more varied and interesting experience than time spent on a beach.

David.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
257 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Esala Maha Perahera 2011 in Kandy

Thanks David for such a quick reply.

We could stay one more night to catch the 1st Kumbal Perahera and leave on 5 Aug. and hopefully see something worthwhile. I want to book my ticket soon that's why I am eager to fix the dates. 2 nights is not much time, I guess 3 would be better anyway.

I've noted that you think it is better to just go to Kandy than anywhere else for our short stay so I'll go read up more on it. I have no clue what to see in Sri Lanka and with the short stay, we can't really go anywhere far. Colombo does not appeal to me and the only thing I've really heard about Sri Lanka is 'nice beaches'.

Do you happen to have any suggestions on middle-range inn-type places to stay. We don't like stuffy hotels but then also, are not the budget traveller type.

Thanks v. much.

3. Re: Esala Maha Perahera 2011 in Kandy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2011, 13:13
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Esala Maha Perahera 2011 in Kandy

I usually stay in Serene Garden Hotel when I visit Kandy. Lat year I stayed in Senani Hotel for the Perahera, and that was a mistake.

Hans

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,129 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Esala Maha Perahera 2011 in Kandy

Other decent midrange hotels are Hilltop and Thilanka. Stayed/ate there and can recommend.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,463 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Esala Maha Perahera 2011 in Kandy

Hi there...

Yes agree with Erik about Hilltop, but check availabilty, hotel due for for closure and refurbishment soon..

Regards

Dave

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
257 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Esala Maha Perahera 2011 in Kandy

Thanks to everyone for your input. Looks like I have lots of reading to do.:)

8. Re: Esala Maha Perahera 2011 in Kandy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2011, 05:18