We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hikkaduwa Market

Henley-on-Thames...
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
Hikkaduwa Market

Hi

We are visiting Sri Lanka in July and would like to visit the Hikkaduwa Market and go swimming with the Turtles, we are staying in Bentota. Could anyone please tell us on what day is the market or is it everyday have searched everywhere on the forum and cannot find anything.

Many Thanks

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hikkaduwa Market

Hi,

I believe that markets in Hikkaduwa are still held on Sundays.

Hans

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hikkaduwa Market

Don't know much about Hikkaduwa.Generally public market is opened throughout the week.Fair is opened only on Sundays..

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hikkaduwa Market

Hi,

Last time I went to the Hikkaduwa market it was on a sunday. From the main coast road, walk up the road that runs beside the main bus stand, over the railway track and the market is spread out on ground to the left.

It's a good, genuinely local market. This one isn't a daily market,

For the turtlres, walk onto thereef beach , facing the sea, turn left and walk to the southern end of the beach. Near the end you'll step over a small conctete jetty and you'll see where the reef runs into the end of the beach.

Wade out in one of the sandy gullies in the end of the reef, to about 3 or 4 feet of water and watch and wait. Last time we were there, we saw the usual three big turtles plus several smaller ones.. At least two or three have been coming in there to feed off the reef for several years and we've seen them every visit for several years. Snorkell and mask makes the experience better as you can then swim along with them but still worth doing without the mask and snorkel.

Rod.

Henley-on-Thames...
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hikkaduwa Market

Many thanks for your prompt replies Sunday it is then, just want to buy some clothes and have been told it is cheap there

Timbuktu, Mali
Level Contributor
185 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hikkaduwa Market

I was at the market in November. Its a local market with heaps of produce. Fruit veg , even home grown tobacco,, There are bric a brac stalls. Tool stalls. Stalls sellig fresh and dried fish. Live baby chickens and ducks, Household goods etc. Its a big market. Very busy, colourful and a bit smelly. It can get muddy after rain.

You do see quite a few tourists wandering about but this is definately a market for local people.

I am sure I didn't see much in the way of clothing.

Its on a Sunday as already said.

6. Re: Hikkaduwa Market

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2012, 08:22