We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mixed information on tipping and malaria!

London England
Level Contributor
182 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Mixed information on tipping and malaria!

Hi

From reading the forum and getting advice from our tour operator Reddot tours I am getting really conflicting advice on the above.

Firstly tipping. Reddot have advised that if we want to tip that the driver/guide would be $15-20 a day as opposed to 300 -500 SLR a day on this forum! Also for waiter and porters $ 3-5 dolloars each as opposed to 200 SLR which is a huge differential. I must admit that Reddot do seem way over the top.

Also with regard to Malaria, it has been advised on this forum that you should take anti malarials if you are in Kandy and the cultural triangle but on the medical travel web sites they indicate that it is only advisable as far north as Anauradhadpura.

Many thanks

West Yorks
Level Contributor
869 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mixed information on tipping and malaria!

I am visiting Kandy shortly and my doctor has advised me anti malarials are not necesaary for this part of Sri Lanka. (only the far north)

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,033 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mixed information on tipping and malaria!

Who on the forum advised antimalarials for KANDY? Please give a link? Not in the faintest of my memories...

In Kandy Deet-based cream and other measures are still needed as it has Dengue-mozzies, but no malaria mozzies.

Reddot's apparent advices about tipping are TOTALLY over the top, and would lead to a hugely inflated expectation level of drivers etc. spoiling the whole Lankan tourist situation. Don't listen to them here (unless they admit that they don't pay the driver/guide at all themselves? In that case I'd expect lower prices for the Red Dot tours :-)))

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,463 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mixed information on tipping and malaria!

Hi there......

Would seem that Red Dot have inflated tipping advice, and as Erik has said, totally over the top !.., i would doubt VERY much that Red Dot even pay thier drivers that much per day, let alone tipping !

The previous guidelines are indeed a good tip, and i would stick to them...

Malaria?, well of course you don't need any protection for this in the Kandy areas, but beware of daytime mozzies carrying Dengue, so wise to use a good repellent day and night...

Regards

Dave

Timbuktu, Mali
Level Contributor
185 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mixed information on tipping and malaria!

Tipping advice from Reddot is OTT.

Only tip when you get BETTER than normal service and not because you feel guilty.

As I say every time about this . I don't like tipping mainly because you are tipping the wrong person. The guys in the kitchen on 600 Rp a day get nothing in the way of tips. ( Sometimes in the off season they only get their board and no pay ).

Besides you are often getting hit with the 10% ' Service ' surcharge that goes straight to the proprietors and very rarely to the workers.

Malarial advice - as above

Edited: 31 January 2011, 21:41
London England
Level Contributor
182 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mixed information on tipping and malaria!

Thanks guys.

Sorry Eric, think I was getting mixed up with malaria and dengue.

Its a bit naughty of Reddot to give such over the top tipping advice so perhaps I should go back to then and say so.

kandy
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mixed information on tipping and malaria!

erik dead right .no malaria in kandy .malaria is a dry zone problem far up in the north.

thats crazy tipping.if thats the rate u guys are going to pay im definitely giving up my job of teaching.

leeds
Level Contributor
59 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mixed information on tipping and malaria!

I am staggered to hear that Red Dot has supposedly suggested a USD$15 tip as an average. I am grayteful to the person who alerted me to this. That is not remotely our policy. Please contact me on admin@reddottours.com with more details of this.

Two points

1. We have decided to update our Drivers Code to give more specific advice on this.

It is exceptionally hard to judge. It depends on the hours driving, the quality of the chauffeur guide (and to some extent the quality of the vehicle) perhaps the wealth of the individual(s) concerned, and I suppose the quality of the tour itself - I suppose a driver would hope for more if guests were visiting very upmarket places and accept that those visiting budget places were on a strict budget

Anyway, with 100 riders, we came up with 800-1000Rs a day as an average tip for a tour of average length with average to good service. People will react to that in many different ways and of course they are free to do so.

2. There is a bit of double think among travellers, though, I would contend. Occasionally, we can be accused of over charging for the services of our chauffeur guides, and then in the next breath accused of not paying them enough. I can assure you that our margins cannot possibly make both those facts true!

Sri Lanka's GDP is already rising after the war and that will bring attendent costs. This will no doubt include chauffeur-guides The question over the next five years is whether Sri Lanka over-prices itself through rises in supplier charges and also government taxes, at a time when spending power among many of its traditional travellers (eg the UK) is falling. It is to be hoped that this is not misjudged.

leeds
Level Contributor
59 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mixed information on tipping and malaria!

I do also suspect this might have been the advice of one of our richer sales consultants who has just left the company :)

Timbuktu, Mali
Level Contributor
185 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mixed information on tipping and malaria!

Is that 800 - 1000 rp / day per passenger or per driver ?

leeds
Level Contributor
59 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mixed information on tipping and malaria!

driver - assuming it is not a coach!