We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Kandy to Ella

England
Level Contributor
16 posts
185 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Kandy to Ella

We understand this is a great trip if you can get seats but since it takes around 5 1/2 hours we wonder if food(snacks) and toilets are available on the train ?Thanks for any help.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Kandy to Ella

Hi,

Wadiwadimen will be selling snacks on the train, but better bring your own to avoid a bad stomach. Toilets on trains in Sri Lanka are usually dirty and smelly.

If you find 5.5 hours too much you can take the train from Nanu Oya (N'Eliya) to Ella. That is about the most scenic part of the journey.

Hans

Edited: 20 February 2011, 17:04
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Kandy to Ella

The toilets are horrible. Just bearable if you are male and need a pee but otherwise, you have been warned.

I often do buyt a snack from the wadiwadi man but again it can be a risky strategy, I guess I would not want to see them being prepared. So take your own food if possible and have a good session on the toilet before leaving. But worth it for the trip. Amazing after rain when the waterfalls are really spectacular.

England
Level Contributor
16 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Kandy to Ella

Thank you for both replies. Forewarned is forearmed re. train snacks and loos!

May rethink and take up the sugestion of the shorter ride.

Thanks

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Kandy to Ella

Hi,

I would suggest one more station ahead of Ella which is a beautiful creature in Sri Lankan railway. That is Demodara. Its wroth go and explore that too..

Nishantha

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,863 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Kandy to Ella

Yes agree but it's coming from Kandy not _ahead of_ Ella but _beyond_ it, towards Badulla. The main specialty is that it has the only Swiss-inspired 'knot' (railway crossing itself on a lower level, using a tunnel too) in the whole Lankan network; the good old Brit engineers weren't that bad... :-)

<Erik> & [Sandya]

6. Re: Train from Kandy to Ella

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 06:17