We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

presents for sri lankan people

Emsworth
Level Contributor
6 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
presents for sri lankan people

Hello,

I',m off to Sri Lanka in a few weeks and would like to take some inexpensive items as small gifts for a) kids and b) our driver, hotel staff and so on.

a) Are felt tipped pens, ordinary pencils, kids' books generally OK? Anything else I can pick up in Asda's?

b) Adults - what is difficult to get or highly priced in Sri Lanka? What about English language books, magazines, biros? I have no idea. but I'd like to take them something from England. (I shall of course give a small tip as well - I know money is always welcome.

Thanks for reading this. Please advise me,

Stella

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,658 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: presents for sri lankan people

Hi Stella,

a) School stuff would better be purchased locally; cheaper, saves you hassle with suitcases, and helps the economy double.

b) Kids _and_ adults love something recognisably from UK, so from e.g. the souvenir shops in UK towns and airports and what WH Smiths sells at the airport. No need for expensive, as long as they can proof they have 'friends abroad' with this...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Emsworth
Level Contributor
6 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: presents for sri lankan people

Thank you Erik and Sandya.

I can easily do as you suggest. I like theidea of giving small souvenirs like those tiny London buses and pillar boxex. great!! I am off to the shops.

Stella.

nuneaton
Level Contributor
633 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: presents for sri lankan people

waht i do is to put extra tee shirts in my siu tcase from my two boys and give them away to the locals kids they love it/

Emsworth
Level Contributor
6 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: presents for sri lankan people

Hello Davro,

I thought clothes must be dead cheap in Sri Lanka? I can ask my daughterinlaw for some kids' stuff if people really would like T shirts and so on. Thank you for the suggestion,

Stella

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: presents for sri lankan people

Hi, this is something I would like to do when we go in July. I work for a large worldwide company and have asked head office if they could donate something for us to take with us, but as I work on the fragrance side, they have suggested some of our promotional tee shirts which have luxury branded names on them, adults and teenage children would probably like them. My question is, they will be brand new and still wrapped in polythene bags, will I have to declare them through customs and how many will me and my 2 daughters be allowed to take each. I could get fragrance samples, but from reading on here, I don't think these would be appreciated as much, and again may have problems with custons.

I also wish to visit a local orphanage, we are staying in the Club Dolpin, so will buy pens, crayons and colouring books for them, and anything else that is suggested.

Thankyou for any advice

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,658 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: presents for sri lankan people

Hi there,

Never seen tourists checked. Almost period.

It might still make sense to have some formal letter on letterhead paper with you telling that these are free gifts, not trade goods.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: presents for sri lankan people

Oh good idea, there'll be no problem getting a formal letter to explain this. I feel much happier now, my company are keen to donate anything to aid communities, and I feel the same.

Thankyou!!

nuneaton
Level Contributor
633 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: presents for sri lankan people

clothes can be cheap in columbo and large towns but poeple wuo live in small villages done always have the money or transport to shop there.giving clothes to village people means they can spen d more on other things it all helps,last time i went emirates upped their limit to 30kg we used this to take mens and boys tee shirts ,and gave them to two teenage boys who worked at the hotel,they were over the moon,their faces said it all,i told them to take home and share with their families and friends it was a real pleasure to help them you will also see this. cheers dave

Edited: 24 February 2011, 11:58
Colchester
Level Contributor
898 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: presents for sri lankan people

Fragrances would also be very acceptable. Sri Lankans love smellies and something branded, even if just samples, would be highly prized. You can buy European brands in Colombo but at prices largely out of the reach of most of the local population.

Daivd.

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: presents for sri lankan people

Thankyou for your valuable replies, I know emirates baggage limit is generous, so with 3 cases to take, we have ample room to take things over between us.

To be able to put a smile on faces will be enough reward to me and my daughters to show our appreciation for the hard work they do to look after us first time tourists.

I'm sure in the next few months I will have a few more queries, but I can now ask my company to organise these gifts, so mission accomplished :)

Thankyou again!