We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recent experience, left luggage counter at Colombo Airport

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
463 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Recent experience, left luggage counter at Colombo Airport

Folks have been very helpful re my several questions in preparation for our recent 10-hour transit through Colombo, which included leaving our bags at the airport when we went into town. Since I have some specific experience now with the left luggage counter, I thought I'd share it.

The left luggage counter (though it may go by some other name) is located outside the doors of one of the two terminals. (Perhaps this is the departure terminal--in any event, as you face the terminals, it is the one to the left and within easy walking distance of the other one.) When we approached the counter no one was staffing it. But, as was our experience, the information desk next door to it handles left luggage if the LL counter is not staffed.

The information counter (and LL counter, when staffed) is open 24 hours. The fee is pretty nominal--something like R100 or R200 per bag to leave it for the day.

Actually leaving our luggage for a 10-hour stopover was not the easiest process. For one thing, the counter personnel require that any left baggage be secured with a lock that you must supply yourself. I suppose this is to make sure they can't be accused of stealing anything, and perhaps for security reasons. They also require that before the bags be secured with locks, a security representative inspect the interiors. We then carried the bags ourselves into the room where they are stored, and were issued receipts for them that noted the tag numbers the counter personnel attached to them.

Since we had four bags we wanted to leave and only two locks, we had to do a lot of cramming and repacking on the somewhat hot, crowded sidewalk by the counter, and even then we had to take our mostly empty smaller bags into town with us. So folks in a similar situation might want to put in or take out any items when still in the comfortable arrive hall, rather than at the counter. (But were able to leave them with the bell desk of the Galle Face Hotel, where we had dinner.) Ironically, inside the (departure) terminal where the counter is located, there is a store that sells all sorts of travel goods, including locks. But we did not know that until after we picked up the luggage.

Retrieving the bags from the counter when we arrived back at the airport was not a problem.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,083 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recent experience, left luggage counter at Colombo Airport

Great info, and similar to the left luggage at Fort Railway station. The left terminal is Departures indeed.

Tnx,

<Erik>

Orange County...
Level Contributor
343 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recent experience, left luggage counter at Colombo Airport

Good info - similar to my experience in other asian locations.....locks required, security checked prior to keeping luggage. Good rate too - possibly the cheapest for any asian airport.

Robbie

dxb
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Recent experience, left luggage counter at Colombo Airport

I am carrying a 32 " TV , i do not want to pay duty in colombo. can i keep this at this counter and collect it back on my return?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,083 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recent experience, left luggage counter at Colombo Airport

Yes, BUT you first pass customs before you reach the counter after arriving. As mentioned, it's outside the terminal. So not that certain whether this way you can avoid paying import duties...

Regards,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

dxb
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Recent experience, left luggage counter at Colombo Airport

Thank you,

Let me go and check :)

Regards

Sunil

Geneva, Switzerland
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Recent experience, left luggage counter at Colombo Airport

left luggage colombo airport. CAUTION THERE ARE RUBBERY

DO put lockers on every zip you have because I had a locker BUT WAS NOT ENOUGH AS THEY HAVE STOLEN MY CLOTHES OF THE NONE CLOSED COMPARTMENT OF MY LUGGAGE!

A BETTER WAY which is actually half price is going to FORT STATION where they have big locker that is closed by a wooden door.

7. Re: Recent experience, left luggage counter at Colombo Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 August 2012, 07:41
Orange County...
Level Contributor
343 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recent experience, left luggage counter at Colombo Airport

That's why they insist on locking your luggage! You have to use common sense when travelling in any part of the world!!

To go to Fort Station from the airport to drop off luggage would not be convenient for someone in short transit.

Robbie

Toronto
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recent experience, left luggage counter at Colombo Airport

Is there a maximum period that you can keep your luggage for?

Baldock
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recent experience, left luggage counter at Colombo Airport

Anyone know the difference between the left luggage department and the Bonded luggage facility at Colombo airport. I need to leave my suitcase there for 5 days whilst I travel around with a small hand carry?

Thanks

Shirley