We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are the best beaches in Srilanka?

India
2 posts
Save Topic
What are the best beaches in Srilanka?

Dear All,

I am planning a real short (3 Nights)vacation in Sri Lanka and would be very grateful if someone could advice me on the best beaches in Srilanka with respect to activities and safety. The country seems to have so many that its confusing if you want to have a vacation in any one place for a short while.

Praveen

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,597 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are the best beaches in Srilanka?

Hi Praveen,

With so many almost equal in quality, why worry about 'choosing the very best'?

Due to the traveling times from airport, we'd choose either Marawila (north of Negombo) or Wadduwa (south). Both safe and both with not big crowds/activities. For lots of activities go to Negombo (not so good beach) or Kalutara-Bentota-Hikkaduwa-Unawatuna (good beach but longer travel from airport).

All of this supposing you take good beach season, which for these areas is November-April. In the other season East Coast is best but really so long travel from airport that it's no use for short break, unless you pay lots for Srilankan Air Taxi...

Have fun,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

2. Re: What are the best beaches in Srilanka?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 April 2009, 14:13
London, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What are the best beaches in Srilanka?

Nilaweli beach just north of Trinco is meant to be the best, although as Erik says, the journey time to and from the airport makes it illogical for you to go there.

Same with Mirissa which was (in my opinion) the best beach we visited whilst in Sri Lanka, but the journey times makes it unlikely you'll get much relaxing beach time.

I didn't really rate Negombo beach compared to the other beaches I saw as the beach didn't have that "tropical island" feel. It wasn't fringed with palm trees and it had hotels large backing on to it.

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What are the best beaches in Srilanka?

Hi,

The question has to be changed slightly to, @ best beaches available with restricted time scale@.

So, Negombo, lots of local activity, especially at weekends but the beach isn't the best for cleanliness and the water usually a mucky brown colour. Not the lovely blue we all want.

The beaches around Bentota / Beruwella , etc. I don't know well . Too near the big hotel chains for me but they look good although swimming out of season is usually too dangerous.

I'd say Hikkadwa is the best place. OK, it's about 4 to 5 hours from the airport but in Hikkaduwa, there's a choice of a, huge wide open beach running for miles south of town. usually hardly a soul to be seen .Narigama end is in a quiet area.

Or , the reef enclosed beach where you can swim all year around. Snorkel over the reef, a good choice of accomodation, either low budget guest houses or reasonable hotels, plus there's plenty of local shops, tourist shops, small bars and restaurants, etc.

Mirissa is a lovely beach but another hour travelling each way.

Unawatuna is OK,but the beach gets very narrow in places.

I'd go for Hikkaduwa. Stay aomewhere opening out onto the reef enclosed beach.

Rod.

wales
Level Contributor
289 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What are the best beaches in Srilanka?

mirissa it also has very cheap beach bars on it

UK
Level Contributor
396 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What are the best beaches in Srilanka?

I'm also loving Mirissa, and am there at the moment. There's not a huge amount to do, but it's very relaxing and the beach is just lovely.

Znojmo, Czech...
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What are the best beaches in Srilanka?

narigama/hikkaduwa is my favorite

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What are the best beaches in Srilanka?

Mirissa all the way for me (have just left there today). Most places are closed now untilext season so if you're planning on going in the next few months Hikkaduwa could have a bit more going on.

colombo
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: What are the best beaches in Srilanka?

Hi Praveen!

The Best Beach I guess is Nilaweli Beach which is in Trincomalee in the East , quiet far away from colombo . But when you go to Down - South , you will be meeting one of the best beaches like , Hikkaduwa ,Unawatuna , which might take about 03 -04 hrs time to reach Colombo . and also Talla , Mirrissa are also beautiful beaches . But there are so many activities to be done in Hikkaduwa and Unawatuna ,more than the Negombo beach as well .

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What are the best beaches in Srilanka?

colombohelpline

Praveen posted his question in January 2006!! so he has probably been to Sri Lanka long time ago.

Please check the dates of the posts you reply to, and just repeating what has been posted already does really not add any info to the thread.

Hans