We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to travel from Galle to Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa ? T

Galle
2 posts
Save Topic
How to travel from Galle to Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa ? T

Hello Everyone,

My family members are planing to visit Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa May third week for four day trip (14 th to 17 th).

So we have to plan our trip more effectively and so that I want your information. I read one thread related to this topic from your site and it was really helpful for me. However I want to know some information from you. Please share your thoughts.

1. What will be the easiest route from Galle to Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa? Beacuse I didn't go there earlier.

(Please consider the places we can see in between two cities when you are giving your recommendations)

2. Can we will be able to stay first night at Anuradhapura or what is your recomending place to stay first night?

3. Could you please mention the places we can visit in our four day trip?

4. Are there any good places to stay with cheaper prices?

5. I will the only driver for whole trip and still I'm not much experienced driver. So we are planing to get enough rest while in the middle of our trip and this will be my first visit to Anuradhapura.What do you think about it?

Thanks in advance

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,254 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to travel from Galle to Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa ? T

Hi there,

1] A2 to about Panadura, then bypass Colombo somehow and hit the A1 at e.g. Nittambuwa. Then soon A6 northbound all the way to Dambulla and from there A'Pura. This is totalling 8-9 hours drive...

2]/3] I'd not do it this way but start at Dambulla for first night. Do golden temple, Sigiriya, Pollonaruwa, Habarana (wildlife safari and elephantbackride) and maybe Aukana from here over at least 2 days. Then go A'Pura/Mihintale and stay overnight there. For your way back use A12-A3-A2 so a different route (also 8-9 hours); that you can break up in e.g. Negombo.

4] Plenty of guesthouses there too. Use www.go-lanka.com for an overview but book directly as the site has a minimum of 3 nights per place.

5] What do you mean? Rest stop or overnight stop? For outbound could stop Ambepussa or Polgahawela, inbound Negombo or e.g. Marawila.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Galle
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How to travel from Galle to Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa ? T

Thanks for the information Erik and Sandya.

Could you please explain your first answer.Do you know the exact direction we have to use if we are going using suggested route?

We are planing to visit below locations.

b. Dambulla

c. Naamal Uyana

c. Aukana & Vijithapura

d. Sigiriya

e. A'pura "atamasthanaya" & other ruins

f. Thanthirimale

g. Mihintale

Polonnaruwa

h. Ruins at Polonnaruwa

i. Madirigiriya

j. Somawathi

k. Minneriya

Am I missing any places? Can we able to cover all the places within four days?

Do we need 4 wheel vehicle to go to Minneriya and Somawathi? Because we are going by van (Townace).

Awaiting more replies.

Thanks.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,254 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to travel from Galle to Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa ? T

Hi again,

No need for a 4WD. Minneriya that brings you to the entrance, from there (or town) need to hire a jeep anyhow according to park rules/licenses. Don't know details about Somawathi road but guess the normal car brings you close enough to it.

I'm afraid you have to consult the map yourself for details, now pretty busy and don't know the smaller ancient places by heart. Basic outline is first all areas except A'Pura/Mihintale from one base (e.g. Dambulla) and then a 2nd base around A'Pura. So e) and g) come after most of the rest.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to travel from Galle to Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa ? T

How was the road to Somawathiya?

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to travel from Galle to Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa ? T

Hi,

I went to Somawathiya last week.

The B488 from Polonnaruwa (first 28 km) is what you can expect of a B-road in Sri Lanka. From the army check point (approx. 12 km from Somawathiya) is a dirt road. The first 5 km is very bad, but they are in the progress of rebuilding the road, and the last 7 km is not that bad.

Hans

Negombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How to travel from Galle to Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa ? T

hello flashmark

there is a nother number of places to visit on your way ,

kurunegala

arankele, ridivihara,

wariyapola

kebellalena cave temple ,padeniya temple ,

padeniya to anuradapura

hachchikuchchi vihara , yapahuwa

anuradapura to sigiriya

sasseruwa , ritigala

cheers

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to travel from Galle to Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa ? T

Again. Please read the questions you reply to. OP visited Sri Lanka in May 2011.

Hans

8. Re: How to travel from Galle to Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa ? T

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 00:18