We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

spending money in sri lanka

Perth, Australia
5 posts
Save Topic
spending money in sri lanka

i am travelling with my partner to sri lanka and all paid for hotels driver i would like to know weather 150 aud per day would be enough we would like to eat in some nice places in Colombo dinner mainly enjoy some sri lankan food can anyone advise on some nice places to eat in colombo cheers

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,569 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: spending money in sri lanka

Hi there,

Sounds feasible yes if you don't eat luxury all of the days.

Our favourite places in Colombo are the restaurants of Galle Face hotel (Sea Spray, outside) and Mount Lavinia hotel (also with outside terrace). Lovely colonial atmosphere. Also Water's Edge, on the suburb side overlooking a marsh, is quite nice.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

New York City
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: spending money in sri lanka

So you are saying you have AUD 150 a day for two to spend and your hotels and driver have already been paid aside from this. That is more than enough to eat very well!

My advice is to avoid the big hotels. Sea Spray at the Galle Face Hotel has a nice setting on the veranda but the food is very ordinary and overpriced for what you get. The Mount Lavinia Hotel has a reputation for only mediocre food at its best. The location is great, but the food is ordinary and expensive. You can read about all the horrible food experiences in reviews of these places.

The only good restaurant at the Cinnamon Grand in Colombo is the London Grill.

The Galle Face Hotel has a fine dining restaurant called "1864" named after the year in which the hotel was built. This is more formal, and expensive.

My favorite places would include Gallery Cafe which is far less expensive than the big hotels and has what I feel to be far better food and service. It is additionally an architectural delight. When I eat there, my bill for two is rarely more than AUD 25 for two people without alcoholic drinks.

www.paradiseroadsl.com/cafe/Introduction.html

The absolute best restaurant in Mount Lavinia is located on Hotel Road. It opened about 5 months ago and is called La Rambla. There is nothing to equal this anywhere else in that area and it would rank also as one of the best restaurants in the greater Colombo area. On top of that it is very reasonable, and the staff go out of their way to tend to your every special wish in the preparation of your food. They are in an old building and it is tastefully decorated. Read about the reviews it gets on Trip Advisor here:

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g499079-d2…

It's hard to find good Sri Lankan food outside of friend's homes.

Raja Bojun isn't very good.

You can try The Curry Leaf at the Hilton Hotel. In fact, the Hilton is the most consistently good place to eat of the big hotels in Colombo.

For good Indian Vegetarian you can try Amaravathi.

Mango Tree is very good as well and serves meat as well as vegetarian.

There is also the inexpensive Saraswathie Lodge for a very informal and good tasting vegetarian meal.

I hope that helps.

Colchester
Level Contributor
898 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: spending money in sri lanka

I agree that 150 dollars is more than enough to eat out for two in Colombo.

In addition to your suggestion at the Cinnamon Grand, I would say that The Lagoon in the same hotel is also very good but rather expensive. It is a fish and seafood restaurant and you buy whatever fish you want by weight and they cook it for you to any style, in the open kitchen. As I say, excellent but watch out for the price, obviously if you have lobster and large prawns it is going to rack up the bill.

For Sri Lankan food the restaurant downstairs at The Renuka Hotel on the Galle Road has always been good. unfortunately they changed the decor a while back and not for the better. It used to look quite classy but seems to have gone down Market with the refurbishment. Food still goo though.

I very much regret the passing of Shanti Vihar at the end of Baudhaloka Mawatha, that was a wonderful and cheap vegetarian restaurant. Last time I went by it seemed to have been bulldozered into the ground.

Agree that The Gallery Cafe in Alfred House Gardens is the best that Colombo has to offer.

David.

Edited: 03 May 2011, 11:14
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,569 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: spending money in sri lanka

Shantivihar got a new owner and is being totally reconstructed. Late March I passed by and it seemed close to reopening.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colchester
Level Contributor
898 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: spending money in sri lanka

Thanks Erik, nice to know that when I return it'll be there. I bet the prices will have gone up though.

David.

6. Re: spending money in sri lanka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 21:15