We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

public holidays and public transport

Melbourne
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
public holidays and public transport

Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone knows if trains and buses run on public holidays (e.g. Christmas day) in Sri Lanka.

It seems like they do from the Sri Lanka Railways website's timetable but thought I should double check.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: public holidays and public transport

Hi,

Trains and buses run also on public holidays. Slightly less frequent during the normal rush hours, but e.g. Christmas Day you will not see much difference from a normal week day - except in areas with many Christians, e.g. Negombo.

Hans

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: public holidays and public transport

Hi,

The only time I've noticed a real diference from the normal routine. A couple of the times when I've been there for the Budhist new year, I was told that there would be no buses on that day..

On the day, hardly any buses in the morning but by afternoon it was almost a normal service.

Other holidays I havn't really noticed a diference except that there are usually a lot more family groups travelling around and public transport can get very crowded.

Rod,.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: public holidays and public transport

Thanks!!

4. Re: public holidays and public transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 14:17