We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Destination advice for 19 days in Sri Lanka

London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Destination advice for 19 days in Sri Lanka

Hi All

I am backpacking in Sri Lanka in a few weeks time at the end of a 7 month trip. I need a little advice on what is possible with the itinerary i have come up with as have hard that travelling between places can be rather long. I was thinking to have a couple of nights in Negombo on arrival rather than Colombo then on to Kandy, Eliya, Ella, Unawatuna, Galle and back to the airport. Not sure really how long to spend in each place but time constraints means I will only get 2/3 days anyhow. Am I trying to fit way too much in? I wanted to see some of the hill country as well as beach life. Also any suggestions on good guesthouses between $10-$20 per night would be great. I am a single female traveller so hoping also for advice on safety travelling here by myself as a bit nervous! Many thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Negombo
Negombo
Western Province, Sri Lanka
Colombo
Colombo
Kandy
Kandy
Kandy District, Sri Lanka
Ella
Ella
Uva Province, Sri Lanka
Unawatuna
Unawatuna
Galle District, Sri Lanka
Galle
Galle
Colombo
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Destination advice for 19 days in Sri Lanka

Hi

You may try locally when you arrive those places and to be honest with you for the prices you indicated its very difficult to find a decent guest house. I am not trying to discourage you but to tell you the real situation. In Ella, you can try sunnyside guest house which may fit according to your budget. May be you can get into the travel information bureau and try to get an accommodation guide while you are in colombo.That will be easy for you to contact those places and check the prices.

Hope this helps.

Nishantha

Mentioned in this post
Ella
Ella
Uva Province, Sri Lanka
St Austell
Level Contributor
3,587 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Destination advice for 19 days in Sri Lanka

Hi Snibbug

Your itinerary is pretty well thought out and 19 days is more than ample to do what you suggest. I've covered what you intend to do by public transport in a lot less time than you are giving it, so you will be fine. The distances are not THAT great in Sri Lanka, although you don't travel anywhere fast on Sri Lankan roads!

I notice you are not covering the Cultural Triangle which is a pity, but you probably have your reasons for this and it is the one area where public transport and backpacking is a bit more of a challenge anyway. However, if you want help in adding this to your itinerary, please let us know.

I would make a couple of changes, ie not stop in Nuwara Eliya but head directly to Ella from Kandy instead as it's far prettier and has more guesthouse options too. The other change I'd make is not to stay at both Unawatuna and Galle as they are within minutes of eachother (ie 10 minutes by bus or tuk tuk). It would be far better to break up the journey between Ella and Unawatuna with another south coast resort further east .. Tangalle is the one I'd go for. You'll find plenty of guesthouses within your budget there too.

Prices have risen a lot in the past year so I am not going to try and suggest specific places as my prices will be out of date. In Kandy, I would advise that you head to the Saranankara Road area which is close to Kandy Lake and this is the area where you will find a good many budget guesthouses. Take a look at this old, but informative post which gives information on some of them .. although prices will be out of date now.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g304138-i9712-k2…

Places like Negombo and Ella are also very easy to find accommodation to suit all budgets, but you should not have a problem at any of the destinations you mention, and if you are happy to head for a guesthouse just back from the beach (ie the land side rather than the sea facing roads) you will find that prices are much cheaper too.

I have not travelled as a single female traveller, but have made a couple of trips with just my daughter for company and we have never had any problems at all. If you are travelling by public bus or train, you will be with lots of Sri Lankan women and children anyway. Dress discreetly, don't travel at night and you really don't have anything to worry about. Sri Lankan people are very polite and quiet in general. Young men may want your mobile phone number, but that's about as much hassle as you'll get. Lots of people speak English so you can ask for advice wherever you need it, but it's best to avoid those who rush up to offer assistance at bus stations or similar as these are often touts, or people who will want paying for any help they offer.

I hope this helps a bit for starters.

Sue

Mentioned in this post
Nuwara Eliya
Nuwara Eliya
Central Province, Sri Lanka
Ella
Ella
Uva Province, Sri Lanka
Kandy
Kandy
Kandy District, Sri Lanka
Unawatuna
Unawatuna
Galle
Galle
Tangalle
Tangalle
Southern Province, Sri Lanka
Kandy Lake
Kandy Lake
3,321 Reviews
Kandy, Sri Lanka
Negombo
Negombo
3. Re: Destination advice for 19 days in Sri Lanka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 August 2011, 17:36
London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Destination advice for 19 days in Sri Lanka

Hi Sue, thank you so much that is really helpful!

5. Re: Destination advice for 19 days in Sri Lanka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 17:15