We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight costs

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Flight costs

Just looking at going to Sri Lanka for two weeks next march/April. I know this is high season but wondered what was a good price for flight, currently looking at between £500-550 and best times seem to be with Oman air. In my experience prices sem to be lowest sone 2-3 months ahead but we're looking at. Coming back at Easter and catching a day of the test in galle so think booking now may be best, any thoughts would be much appreciated.

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,497 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight costs

I have always booked way ahead .. often almost up to a year beforehand, and even when I have checked the prices afterwards, they have rarely dropped. In fact, they usually go up nearer the time. I guess you can always hold out for a last minute bargain, but I've never had the nerve to wait.

The cheapest I've ever managed was a flight during peak season for around £340 with Kuwait Airlines back in Feb 2010 (with a change of planes in the Middle East as many of them do) but I've usually paid far more than that. I don't know where you intend to fly from, but a flight around the price you mention seems reasonable. I'd go for it...!

Sue

Edited: 22 August 2011, 20:36
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight costs

Hi,

Try http://www.travelsor.co.uk/

March/April 2012 costs about £440 at the moment.

Lay over in Riyhad is a long one on way back, but ive done it and its not that bad. bit of shopping lunch and a doze the time 'flies' in

jim

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight costs

Many thanks for the information, we're looking at going from London, apologies for not making that clear.

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,448 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight costs

Hi there....

Prices unlikely to go down much, if at all, passenger loads are quite low these days from London to Colombo and some airlines including SriLankan Airlines AND Kuwait Airlines are in fact cutting numbers of flights per week.

This is as i say because of lower passenger loads from London these days, no need i guess to say reasons for that ?

Regards

Dave

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight costs

Hi,

I fly from London also and This year cheapest was £395.(booked in Jan) Now the cheapest i can find is £440 from London Heathrow to Colombo,

I book 11 months in advance, That seems to work for me.

Jim

6. Re: Flight costs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 01:17