We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Short Trip to Sri Lanka - need help!

P D
Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
11 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
A Short Trip to Sri Lanka - need help!

Hi,

I'm planning to travel to Colombo on business for 4 days in December & my family (wife & teenage daughter) will reach Colombo Airport early morning for 3N/4D. We have chalked following plan:

Day 1 Airport - Dambulla - Sigiriya [See Dambulla on way to Sigiriya]

Day 2 Sigiriya - Kandy

Day 3 Kandy - Peradeniya - Nuwara Eliya

Day 4 Nuwara Eliya - Colombo -Airport

I intend to take a car with Driver from Colombo for full trip & would like to stay in mid to high range hotel. We intend to pick up porcelain for dining room & some local suveniers

Need help on :

- is this schedule doable?

- which places I must visit ?

- which is good bargain place for the above shopping?

Can you pl send me pm on

- a good travel agency in Colombo & hotels

- we like to taste local food & I would like to know places in these cities.

Thanks.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,033 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Short Trip to Sri Lanka - need help!

Hi there,

It's extremely packed and you''ll basically not see much of each place. But IF you insist, at least you can say you've been there. Normally I'd leave out one of the three areas (Triangle, Kandy or Hill Country) even for one week stay...

Laksala (Kandy and Colombo) is good for souvenirs. The porcelain showrooms, of e.g. Noritake and Dankotuwa brands, are in Colombo. Hotels will serve local food also.

Good agents are Walkers Tours, Aitken Spence and Tangerine; they'll help selecting good hotels.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

PS An example of the overload: Eliya-Colombo is 6 hours and Colombo-Airport 90 mins. How the heck you're going to cram a few hours shopping for porcelain in that day is a big question to me...

Edited: 06 November 2011, 17:24
P D
Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
11 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Short Trip to Sri Lanka - need help!

Hi Erik & Sandya

Thanks for your inputs.

I guess I will have to rework the plan. I didn't estimate Eliya-Colombo to take so much time.

Cheers

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Short Trip to Sri Lanka - need help!

Of course the Day 04 Nuwara eliya to Colombo airport is too much. If you can stay in place like Negombo on Day 03 you will have time for shopping etc.

Nishantha

Colombo, Sri Lanka
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A Short Trip to Sri Lanka - need help!

Hi

It's better to come back to colombo on the 3rd day night and stay over night in some where colombo city will be an advantage because then you can do a half day city tour and some shopping on 4th day morning before going back to the air port. Even almost every city hotels offering these guided city tours and they'll help you to go to the places where you want to go shopping.

It's advisable to plan your trip with a reputed travel agents like Walkers Tours or Aitken Spence.

Cheers

P D
Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
11 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A Short Trip to Sri Lanka - need help!

Thanks to all.

I have dropped Eliya from my trip & will stay in Colombo.

6. Re: A Short Trip to Sri Lanka - need help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 November 2011, 06:35
7. Re: A Short Trip to Sri Lanka - need help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2012, 05:16