We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourism industry in “new visa mess”

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Tourism industry in “new visa mess”

The soap opera continues.

sundaytimes.lk/111204/BusinessTimes/bt03.html

Hans

Blue Lanka Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Sri Lanka Wide Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Hikkaduwa, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
73 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tourism industry in “new visa mess”

Just to clarify this, as im confused, i have guest`s that have booked up until March, Including many English cricket fans for the England tour. If i send them all an email saying go online and book the ETA now as they have all booked flights there will be no payment needed?

Or maybe i should wait as im sure there are going to be a few more twists in this ongoing Saga. Fairplay there is nothing straight forward when living here

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tourism industry in “new visa mess”

Hikka,

Tell your guests to apply before 31st December. The UK post code seems to have been fixed and there will be no charges for online applications are free until the end of 2011.

Hans

Oraison, France
Level Contributor
488 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tourism industry in “new visa mess”

hello

We are from France and are travelling to Sri Lanka next january

our concern also is this big mess concerning eta ...

we bought our flight tikets throught internet in june 2011 so do you think that the booking date will appear on our flight document and be considered as an arangement prior 31rst of december by the SL authorities not to pay the ETA

and also if we apply the eta throught the website wich seems operational now we can't write an adress because we don't have an adress in sri lanka we will change every day .. booking when we arrive hotels or guest houses

If someone have an idea that would be great

Robert

wales
Level Contributor
149 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tourism industry in “new visa mess”

Can anyone tell me the web address to obtain a visa .I have triedwww.eta.gov.lk. I cannot seem to get the page for the visa form. We are travelling 28/1/12

Edited: 04 December 2011, 13:26
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tourism industry in “new visa mess”

The website for ETA application is:

http://www.eta.gov.lk/

You have to select language - English - and then click on Apply.

Hans

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tourism industry in “new visa mess”

Robert,

The address field is mandatory on the ETA application, But when I visited Immigration Department today I got the impression that this field is not of great importance.

They suggested you just write "Sri Lanka". I would suggest you just write a name and address of a hotel/guesthouse (they will not check if you have booked there) or "Touring" as I have done many times on my landing card.

Hans

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tourism industry in “new visa mess”

Well I am surprised. I never thought anything could possibly go wrong, it seemed such a foolproof system.

Unfortunately, "Act now and think about it later" is such an ingrained approach to any task in Sri Lanka that this was bound to end up as a fiasco. I still love the place and almost everyone there and I hope this has all been forgotten about before I start planning my next visit.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tourism industry in “new visa mess”

It's a shambles. I'm one of several hundred people heading out for the cricket in March and because the situation re visas seemed to be changing so often, I decided to seek some advice. I wrote an email to the SL High Commission in London and sent exactly the same one to the authorities in Sri Lanka.

London replied the next day assuring me I didn't need an ETA because I'd booked my flights and accommodation before December 31 and was arriving before March 31. Four days later, I had a reply from Sri Lanka telling me to apply for an ETA as soon as possible. Bonkers!

So just to be on the safe side, I filled the online ETA application in and submitted it. Within minutes I had an automated reply giving me a reference number and assuring me I would have a response to my application within 24 hours. That was four days ago and guess what? Yes, I have received absolutely nothing so far.

If only everything in life was this simple....**rolls eyes in frustration**

wales
Level Contributor
149 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tourism industry in “new visa mess”

I received a letter this week from Mercury Direct travel company who I have booked our trip with.It states that passengers who are travelling between 01/01/12 - 31/3/12 have a possiblity of obtaining a their visa free of charge provided they do the following.

forward the following details before 31/12/11.

Full passenger names{ as per passport]

Passport No

Nationality

D.O.B

You email all the above info to contvisa@immigration.gov.lk

You must also print a copy of the email and take it with you.

Or you can fill the same details online WWW.eta.gov.lk. The online site will not be operational until 15/12/11.

If you do not do either before 31/12/11 you will have to obtain a visa when you arrive by paying a fee of $25 per person.

I sent my email with our info this evening.

Hope this helps everyone.

Edited: 09 December 2011, 21:13
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tourism industry in “new visa mess”

That's helpful mogsy so thanks for posting - especially the bit about the online ETA thing not being operational until December 15. I'll pass that on to a lot of other bemused cricket fans who are also wondering what's going on.