We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Visa Advice

wales
Level Contributor
149 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
New Visa Advice

I received a letter this week from Mercury Direct travel company who I have booked our trip with.It states that passengers who are travelling between 01/01/12 - 31/3/12 have a possiblity of obtaining a their visa free of charge provided they do the following.

forward the following details before 31/12/11.

Full passenger names{ as per passport]

Passport No

Nationality

D.O.B

You email all the above info to contvisa@immigration.gov.lk

You must also print a copy of the email and take it with you.

Or you can fill the same details online WWW.eta.gov.lk. The online site will not be operational until 15/12/11.

If you do not do either before 31/12/11 you will have to obtain a visa when you arrive by paying a fee of $25 per person.

I sent my email with our info this evening.

Hope this helps everyone.

Edited: today, 21:13

Edited: 09 December 2011, 21:43
North East England
Level Contributor
122 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Visa Advice

ive rang the embassy and they said just bring confirmation of flight booking (email) with us to show we booked well in advance and that is all we need.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Visa Advice

Typical Sri Lanka. You ask one and you get one reply. You ask another and you get a different reply.

Would I trust information from Mercury Direct 100%? Likely not. The information they have on their website is mainly wrong.

mercury-direct.co.uk/sri-lanka-holidays.php

What I was told 2 days ago at Immigration Department in Colombo matches pretty well with the reply from Sri Lanka High Commission in London.

To be on the safe side (saving USD 25?) I would apply for ETA online (after 15th December?).

http://www.eta.gov.lk/

Worst case scenario will be that you will be asked to pay USD 25 for ETA at the airport, and honestly how much is USD 25 in a budget for a Sri Lanka holiday?

Hans

London, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Visa Advice

I phoned Sri Lanka High Commission, and i was told pretty much the same as above, show when you booked your holiday and you can get in for free and without a problem.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Visa Advice

I just noticed that the message from ETA webpage has been changed. Now it does no longer say that you can enter without ETA until 31st March 2012.

Hans

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,463 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Visa Advice

Hmmm

Would i trust what ANY website is saying right now ?, probably NOT, we should wait and see what travellers AFTER 1st January 2012 have to say, then we will have a clearer picture.....

Nothing in Sri Lanka is as clear as water until it happens, even then sometimes dubious !

Regards

Dave

wales
Level Contributor
149 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Visa Advice

I actually checked Mercury Direct site ref visa and it clearly states you have a POSSIBILITY of GETTING YOUR VISA FREE OF CHARGE IF YOU ARE TRAVELLING BETWEEN 31/12/11-31/3/12. I think the operative word is possibility.

Yes you are correct considering what you have paid for your holiday what is $25.

I am not sure even Sri lanka knows what they are doing.

But for us Sri Lankan Virgins we can only do what we are informed.

Edited: 10 December 2011, 16:50
hertfordshire
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Visa Advice

We've had one of those letters too

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
386 posts
614 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Visa Advice

The website message has changed but you still can't apply because when you put your passport no. in you get a message saying Duplicate Application has been successfully verified.

wales
Level Contributor
149 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Visa Advice

The website is not fully operational until 15/12/11.

I would suggest you fill the visa forms in after this date.

You can send an email with the required info now.

Edited: 10 December 2011, 20:51
napa,california
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Visa Advice

Wow! Going to Sri Lanka in Feb. Thanks for the info.Just filled in the online app and will wait for reply.