We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dialog Sim Cards

London, United...
Level Contributor
186 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Dialog Sim Cards

I'm looking to get a sim card for my unlocked mobile for use on a 3 week trip to Sri Lanka next year, to keep cost of texting and calling back home to the UK down.

I'm trying to make sense of what the call and text costs are. On their website they state:

For their Per Second tariff:

Calls to UK are:

Rs. 22.00 Standard Rate

MY10 - Fixed / Land Line Rs. 2.00

MY10 - Mobile Rs. 15.00

For their Per Minute tariff:

Fixed / Land Line Rs. 2.00

Mobile Rs. 15.00

Text messages apear to be Rs 5.00 for both tariffs.

I'm confused as to what the per second standard rate means? As it seems much more expensive. Can anyone explain how it works to me?

For a user maybe making a couple of calls a week and texting a few times a day, would the per minute package be the better option?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dialog Sim Cards

HI,

This is how it works. If you get a KIT connection and opt for per second call tariff option then you will be charged per second and not per minute. If you use 30 seconds then you will be charged only Rs. 7.50 for that call. For you to be applicable for this rate, you need to activate MY ten on your KIT connection where there will be an additional charge of Rs. 50/- per month I guess.

Hope this is clear.

Regards,

Treshi.

London, United...
Level Contributor
186 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Dialog Sim Cards

Thanks Treshi,

So to get the per second rate you have to subscribe to the MY10?

But I still don't see what the standard rate of Rs22.00 is for?

I think for my use the per minute deal may be simpler, as I will be mostly texting with the odd phone call, with maybe local calls to our driver.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dialog Sim Cards

If you don't have activated MY10 then standard rate will apply for per second package .That's 22/60 per second pulse.

Simply stick in to per minute package. don't fall into per second scam..

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dialog Sim Cards

Try to go another option instead of Dialog connestions. may be price will be low Hutch and Air tel connection.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dialog Sim Cards

Hi,

Yes the per minute package suits you best and will be much simpler as you ve very well mentioned. Do check out the prices of other mobile service providers as Andrea has suggested but the only issue maybe with them would be the coverage as Dialog has the best coverage islandwide.

I have been using Dialog for many many years and have not had any issues upto date and am quite happy with their services.

Regards,

Treshi.

Manchester
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Dialog Sim Cards

dude,

bottom line is its cheaper if you call a land line. Its easy to activate this my10 deal where you can add 10 phone numbers you will be calling frequently. its works out for less than 1p a min to call UK land lines that way. I use dialog when Im down in Lanka. Also if you want someone from UK to call Lanka sign up for some website such as lykatalk or rebtel where it costs around 12p per min to call a lanka mobile number.

Have a good visit.

Saj

7. Re: Dialog Sim Cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2012, 10:24