We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ETA application gone

StandardMumbler
2 posts
Save Topic
ETA application gone

Hi all

I applied for ETA Dec 25 and had the status "in principle approved"

but today when i check website, my passport or reference number didn't work, i only gott "Invalid Passport or Confirmation Number found. Please Contact DI&E Agent for more Details." anyone in the experiences the same thing?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,600 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ETA application gone

Unfortunately, yes this happens. The site has still a reasonable amount of bugs.

If you made a PRINT of the Dec-25 status, bring that with you on arrival and you make a chance of free entry in the country (assuming your travel is before Apr-1). If you have no proof, too bad - could come in, queue and pay 15 USD (SAARC price) or apply again online and pay 10 USD...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

North East England
Level Contributor
122 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ETA application gone

hi there

yes, we are in the same boat.

however, someone posted on here that they took a copy of the print screen showing this "approved in principle" and showed it to immigration and they were let straight through.

i emailed the embassy and they said to just bring a print shot too.

thats what we are doing.

edit: many people will see the approved in principle, print off the screen and never check it again so it is fair to presume you should have no problems if you have done as hans said (kept a copy of the "approved in principle".

Edited: 06 January 2012, 08:24
North East England
Level Contributor
122 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ETA application gone

from another poster on here (from a few days ago)

"I arrived in Sr Lanka early this morning without the printed visa although I did take a printed screen shot of my application status (in principle approved) and the emails I had received no response to. I avoided the huge queue for Visa on Arrival and joined the much shorter immigration queue. I got through straight away with the stamp in my passport and without having to pay"

if you have a copy of approved in principle take it with you to the airport!

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ETA application gone

Hi, StandardMumbler S

My husband and I applied on 15 Dec, and we also got approval e-mail and

"in principle approved" on the website within the day.

But yesterday, we also got the same comment: "Invalid Passport or Confirmation Number found. Please Contact DI&E Agent for more Details."

We have approval e-mail and already printed them.

But I don't know why and how to understand this condition.....

Srilanka is ....... ahhh....

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,600 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ETA application gone

As was mentioned above: just bring the print, and say you never looked at the site afterwards. That should be fine for free entry....

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Huddersfield, UK
Level Contributor
21 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ETA application gone

Another varaition on the theme. I booked a 10 day holiday with Mercurydirect back in May last year for a Feb 2012 holiday. I received a letter from MD early December explaining that I may be entitled to afree visa if I either applied via ETA or via email to the immigration dept (email contvisa@immigation.gov.lk) before 31 Dec. Tried, unsuccessfully like many others, to apply for the on-line visa approval on the ETA site in December (but couldn't get as far as an "in-principle" approval) and ended up emailing contvisa requesting visa approval. I've received no reply despite a follow-up email.

My question is, what are the chances of me getting a free visa at the airport if I take a print of my email request??

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ETA application gone

Unfortunately only Sri Lanka Immigration can give you a correct reply to your question.

Other replies will be guesswork until at least we get any reports from recent travellers.

Hans

StandardMumbler
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: ETA application gone

Good news!!!

I can now find me ET the website, seem just that the website is a bit buggy, as other members have mentioned.

Dubai
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: ETA application gone

I applied for an ETA yesterday. Can somebody advise how I can check the status of my ETA application from the website? I am planning to travel to Sri Lanka in 2-3 days time.

(There is a 'Check Status' tab in the site - http://eta.gov.lk/slvisa/visainfo/center.jsp - but, it shows the same contents as in the Apply tab.)

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ETA application gone

Welcome to TripAdvisor.

You need to allow pop-ups from the site as the 'check status' opens in a new window.

Hans