We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

iternary help - travel with elderly people

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
714 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
iternary help - travel with elderly people

Hi,

We have booked our tickets for Colombo from jan25 till jan29. arriving jan25night and leaving jan29. Can you please help with my iterary and hotels and let me know if this is ok for the elderly people.

jan25- arriving in the night at 10

check into either hotel lavinia or galle face hotel. we plan to hire a cab for the entire trip. we are still looking for reputed agencies for this.

jan26- colombo sightseeing

jan27 - checkout after breakfast and leave for kandy

stay at chaaya citadel, hilltop or kandy view hotel.

becuase of budget issues we prefer kandy view. Is it recommended.

jan28-kandy sight seeing

jan 29- leave for colombo. evening flight at 7

question 1: are there any service apts which can work out cheaper in colombo.

question 2: do we do kandy on 26 and 27th and return on 28th to colombo. that way we can sightsee on 28th evening and 29th in colombo.

question 3: do we take the train to kandy or a car.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,034 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: iternary help - travel with elderly people

Hi there,

With elderly people I'd use a car all the way; train is not bad but requires some flexibility, stairs climbing etc.

Colombo has hardly apartments meant for less than 1 week rent, so would not count on that. Your Q2: well it works out both ways. And Q0: Kandy View has reasonable TA reviews...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: iternary help - travel with elderly people

IIRC the entrance to Kandy View is quite steep and there also some stairs to climb. The hotel is mainly a backpacker accommodation.

Hans

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
714 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: iternary help - travel with elderly people

thank you Eric and Hans for your response.

Hans, can you recommend which hotel is good in Kandy for the elderly? Is hilltop a good option as it works cheaper than citadel.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: iternary help - travel with elderly people

I have never stayed at Hilltop. I stayed at Serene Gardens a couple of times. You walk straight in from the road and they have a lift.

Hans

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,034 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: iternary help - travel with elderly people

Hilltop is fine, there are lifts where needed. Had a nice stay there some years back.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
714 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: iternary help - travel with elderly people

thank you for the replies. I am surprised seeing the hotel prices in srilanka :) I guess I would then go for hilltop.

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,460 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: iternary help - travel with elderly people

Hi there...

Hilltop is fine, but as name suggests it is at top of hill, you will need transport to get to hotel lobby ...., some rooms at ground level, but steps down to reach.., some steps also to restaurant/bar area..., but not too bad..

Regards

Dave

Edited: 07 January 2012, 14:55
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,034 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: iternary help - travel with elderly people

It depends on your physical fitness, for elderly people indeed I definitely would take transport to the entrance. But same for Serene Gardens. People with reasonable fitness can climb to the Hilltop entrance from close to town centre (post office) in 15 mins, downhill is 7-10 mins ;-)

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,460 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: iternary help - travel with elderly people

Erik...

Agreed, but if someone has any walking difficulties, with stairs ect, it "maybe" a problem at Hilltop, fit people then as you say no problem..

Regards

Dave

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: iternary help - travel with elderly people

I understand your problem with stairs as I am 72yo and have a collapsed arch in one foot. I stayed at Glen 58,Saranankara Rd Kandy last July and the owners, Camilla & Dean, both in their late 60's, have a lovely 3 double bedroom B & B , all with en-suites but no air-conditioning but it wasn't required as the ceiling fans were sufficient.Camilla cooks up a mean curry and delightful dahl. They can be contacted on +94 8122 35342There are no stairs in their building and a tuk-tuk from the railway station is only about R150 (all drivers know of it). Can highly recommend taking the tourist train to Kandy from Fort Station Colombo. The cost was A$13.00 first class in the observation carriage and a very scenic 3.5 hours trip.