We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hard times for tourism from UK !!

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,458 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Hard times for tourism from UK !!

It has been announced that SriLankan Airlines will cut it's flight schedule from Colombo to London from it's present 13 flights per week to ONE per DAY....( 7 per week), it would seem that the Male (Maldives) part of the route is dropped completely !!

Seems like they are expecting tourism numbers to drop off substantially from the UK..., cuts to take place from March 26th it seems...

Regards

Dave

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hard times for tourism from UK !!

Where did you see that announced? Nothing yet on http://airlineroute.net/

The change should like take place fro, March 25. The date where most airlines anyway change their timetables to summertime.

Hans

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,458 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hard times for tourism from UK !!

Hans...

Confirmed by friends at SrILankan, now also public at ......

airlineindustryreview.com/

A SHOCK to some hotel owners in SL.....

Regards

Dave

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hard times for tourism from UK !!

The Sri Lankans have got very greedy, Even our two friends here from Sri Lanka say the same. Had them here for the New Year.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,261 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hard times for tourism from UK !!

Doesn't say necessarily much about tourism to Lanka in general. It says most about the market position of Srilankan; one reason for it continuing its slide is that they ask JUST too much extra compared to other airlines which are also doing Colombo (albeit with a stopover). E.g. Oman Air, which I flew last month (great airline!), has just increased capacity to Colombo by decoupling the Colombo and Male flights.

Let's hope for Lanka that general tourism figures keep on being okay, though I admit that some local factors (e.g. absurd price increases and the unfriendly ETA) could hinder that...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,458 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hard times for tourism from UK !!

I don't think this has anything to do with greed on anyones part, it is purely a business decision, they are losing a lot of money on the Colombo- London route..

What it will mean of course is higher cost package deals from the UK, with half the amount of seats available, tour companies will not be able to block book the amount of seats at the prices they were getting, therefore the end user, ie the tourist will have to pay more..

So, a bit of a never ending circle i think, higer prices when people have less money to spend, means fewer tourists, which in turm could see yet more flights being cut ??

Regards

Dave

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hard times for tourism from UK !!

Seems sensible to deploy the planes on routes (to China) where payload will likely be higher than flying half empty planes to London.

Just my 2 cents.

Hans

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,261 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hard times for tourism from UK !!

Reply #3 as I read it did not refer at all to greed inside Srilankan Airlines, but to

"e.g. absurd price increases "

(in hotel sector)

and that (set against the declining economic climate in UK/Europe) is for sure a factor causing less traffic from UK to Lanka, next to the ETA and maybe recently also the security worries at south coast...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
326 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hard times for tourism from UK !!

Hmmm...interesting....I did the Beijing - Colombo sector 4 times in 2011, and what I saw was a full load between Colombo and Bangkok, and a half empty plane from Bangkok to Beijing. My last trip was less than a month ago where the flight was less than half full in EY, and only 2 in BC from Bangkok to Beijing.

Robbie

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
191 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hard times for tourism from UK !!

EEK - i'm panicking now. Only booked flights with Srilankan airlines last week for Aug/Sept. Booked direct with airline, but times were very important as 2 of our number are connecting to a flight back to Canada!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
191 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hard times for tourism from UK !!

Anyone know which flights they're cancelling/changing? I can't seem to find anything