We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

camping in Sri Lanka

Prague, Hlavni...
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
camping in Sri Lanka

Hello,

I've heard it is possible to set a tent where I want and I can spend a night there. Is it really true? May I have any problems with officials, criminals or anything? It sounds perfect actually!!!!

Thank you for your answers,

Jachym from Prague

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: camping in Sri Lanka

Never heard about that, but I doubt it will be safe for you.

Hans

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
55,439 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: camping in Sri Lanka

There are no laws as such prohibiting it, providing it's state land. Which in itself is a nightmare to find out or get proof, 99% chance that wherever you put up your tent someone will claim the land is theirs and ask you for 'rental fee'. Then there's the wildlife (cockroaches, spiders etc.) and then there's petty crime; not big, but a tent would work like a magnet for them. So DON'T. Backpacker guesthouses work out cheaper than camping...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

3. Re: camping in Sri Lanka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 May 2012, 14:05
somerset uk
Level Contributor
349 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: camping in Sri Lanka

I thought of doing this a few years ago - but soon decided against - I travel by bike and had visions of lazy days in a hammock under the palm trees - dream on. For a start you could never leave your "camp" unattended. There are no camp sites as westerners know them so it would be "wild" camping. Wherever you pitch someone would be hassleing you within minutes. I suppose you could stop and ask if you could pitch up in someones garden but that is not really fair- they would feel obligated and would in any case insist that you stay in their house. Not the idea atall. I now stay in cheap b and bs/guest houses and have a fabulous time - meeting friendly locals and like minded travellers. I seldom pay more than 1800 rps for a room with breakfast. No hot water/towel/toilet paper etc of course! Have been all over SL bikepacking/trains/taxi vans/tuk tuks - the bike and I are a tight fit in a tuk tuk! So - forget camping.

Good luck

Richard

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: camping in Sri Lanka

Yes, all this... But still, camping can be great fun if you find the right people to take you through it...

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
55,439 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: camping in Sri Lanka

Lakshini,

Please STOP with all selfpromoting between the lines. Regular readers should know that quite a few of your earlier posts, e.g. about organised luxury camping by your company in wildlife parks, got removed. This one above is on the edge but repeating this kind of PR will draw you over the line again...

Sorry,

<Erik>

7. Re: camping in Sri Lanka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2013, 10:27