We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

roads in sri lanka?!

uk
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
roads in sri lanka?!

We are thinking of planning a trip to sri lanka this summer but ive heard mixed things about the roads. We would fly into colombo but then head to the east coast. has anyone done this journey? what is it like? are the drivers and roads as mad as they say?

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: roads in sri lanka?!

Hi,

Welcome to TripAdvisor.

The main roads are mainly in a decent condition, but you will also find roads with quite a few potholes. Many main roads on the east cost have been reconditioned recently, but the works are still not complete.

There are crazy drivers (mainly bus drivers) in Sri Lanka. Are you considering self driving? DON'T.

Hans

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: roads in sri lanka?!

Yes agree with Hans. Self driving is not advisable.

Nishantha

Sydney
Level Contributor
282 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: roads in sri lanka?!

Again, piggy backing on another question so thank you.

The roads - I am not a great traveller i.e motion sickness - are they mostly straight or lots of bends and windy roads??? Intend to stay for about 15 days so will be covering most of Sri Lanka with a driver.

Still reading all I can and also trying to work out distances from one destination to other.

Thank you for any advice. Cathy

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,064 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: roads in sri lanka?!

Hi Cathy,

In the hills of course bending and hairpins, in the plains mostly straight roads. Speed guidelines:

* Expressway 100 km/h

* Some reconditioned roads in quiet areas with few villages, mainly in east: 50-60 km/h

* All other roads including 'highways': 30-40 km/h. Speed between villages/cities of course higher but at sooo many points there is crawling traffic due to these villages/cities, hence for long distance this is best average.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Sydney
Level Contributor
282 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: roads in sri lanka?!

Thank you for that information. How long it takes us to get somewhere, not too concerned, as in total holiday mode and usually so much to absorb and hey, we will be passengers. However, will take the travel pills with me and take them on those days..

I had previously been warned about bad roads in Cambodia and parts of Thailand and pleasantly surprised when we got there. So I hope I get lucky again. Thanks once more, Cathy

London, United...
Level Contributor
809 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: roads in sri lanka?!

Hi

Roads and Speed limits are ok only the problem is crazy driving and very poor road safety, not only the vehicles on the roads but also bicycles, people, cows, dog all sorts of things make more difficult drive.

Regards

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,179 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: roads in sri lanka?!

Travelling by road is a very slow business, & you won't believe how bad it is until you leave the airport & see whats going on :)

Sydney
Level Contributor
282 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: roads in sri lanka?!

Thanks for above info. Gives us a greater idea of what to expect.

If I get to go around lots of bends slowly, then perhaps this is a good thing???? Thanks.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,179 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: roads in sri lanka?!

The only place you'll be able to travel fast, is on the expressway that opened 18 months ago. Was virtually no tyraffic on that at all when I used it.

Everywhere else I've been, you're talking average speeds of about 15 miles per hour or so, certainly nothing more than 20mph, until you get past Galle, unless you're lucky.

Tamparuli, Malaysia
12 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: roads in sri lanka?!

self driving is dangerous in Sri Lanka