We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snake charmers in Lanka? If so, where might I see them?

Boston
Level Contributor
50 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Snake charmers in Lanka? If so, where might I see them?

I am in Galle right now and read that snake charmers hang out on the west rampart end of the fort. Has anyone seen them, and if so, where?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,600 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snake charmers in Lanka? If so, where might I see them?

Can't remember having seen them in Galle. In Kandy at the corner of the lake dam and the Tooth Temple Road there's always a few of them...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snake charmers in Lanka? If so, where might I see them?

Occasionally you can find one at the beach at Bentota.

Hans

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,497 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snake charmers in Lanka? If so, where might I see them?

And at Dambulla .. but that's some way from Galle!

Wauchope, Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snake charmers in Lanka? If so, where might I see them?

Not sure which direction it is but we arrived at the fort in a tuk tuk about 10 days ago-the small carpark was very close to the clock & the section where you look over the cricket ground. There was a snake charmer in that section that day.

We did see quite a few charmers during our trip around the country

somerset uk
Level Contributor
315 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Snake charmers in Lanka? If so, where might I see them?

Never seen any in Galle - there's one who walks the beach at Unawatuna most days + little monkey. Can be controversial - not everyone agrees they should be used like this - there was quite a scene one day when someone forcefully and tearfully said they should be in the jungle where they belong....,, the snakes that is.

Richard

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,497 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snake charmers in Lanka? If so, where might I see them?

Agree with that Richard ... I'm not keen on the whole snake charming idea at all. It's quite cruel .. and that goes for the monkey business too, so to speak. Good to hear from you. How are the travels progressing? Looking forward to hearing all about your latest big adventure in due course!!

Sue

Edited: 07 March 2012, 10:04
Boston
Level Contributor
50 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snake charmers in Lanka? If so, where might I see them?

Yeah, i have mixed feelings about the monkey enslavement. You know, I never really thought about the snakes and their enslavement. Still, without meaning to sound creepy, it is one of those weird old cultural oddities that I had looked forwrd to seeing.

For me it is hard to go to third world countries and see all the starving, mangy cats and dogs. Let alone the starving people missing limbs and all manner of suffering.

I will be at Unawatuna tomorrow. Maybe something interesting will be seen there.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snake charmers in Lanka? If so, where might I see them?

Hi! I went to SL in January and when I went to Galle there was a snake charmer! Make sure you walk to the left of the lighthouse and go straight ahead to find the charmer!

Boston
Level Contributor
50 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snake charmers in Lanka? If so, where might I see them?

Gah, I think that he must come on certain days.

I went to the fort and walked the wall three times in late afternoon, and there were nothing but hundreds of schoolkids.

I did start thinking about the snake, however. I had never really considered theossibility that they spend their whole existence in a basket. Is this true?

I mean, a lot of. People keep them as pets, in glass boxes, which is just as cruel. A lot of people. Which is really a creepy pet, and not happy for the serpent, or the mice that get dropped into the cages to wait in terror to be eaten. I find the whole idea of that disaggreeable and feel it takes a twisted sort to enjoy it. No offence to those here who may keep a snake in a glass box.

I guess I figured that the people with monkies and snakes treated them with some respect, but I really have no idea.

Regardless, the elusive snake charmer is yet to be encountered, and today I depart Galle for Kataragama, where I expect to see a lot of lovely creatures in the wild.

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,497 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snake charmers in Lanka? If so, where might I see them?

Absolutely djunalu. On a quiet walk between Kataragama and Sella Kataragama, we even ran into a crocodile wallowing in a small lake close to the road. Far nicer seeing these creatures in the wild ... but in the case of the croc, maybe best not too close up ;-)

Sue