We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress code

Blackburn
Level Contributor
310 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Dress code

Is it ok for women to wear shorts and sun tops whilst or do they need to cover up?

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dress code

Depends on where. In touristy towns it's OK, but if you intend to visit temples you will have to cover your shoulders and your knees.

Hans

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
182 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dress code

When i am out and about away from the hotel, i usually wear a long skirt or sundress. As Hans said it is okay to wear shorts in tourist towns but out of respect for their culture i just feel more comfortable covering up. Think it also depends on the length of shorts....some shorts are like knickers!! lol. I also keep a shawl in my bag for any unexpected stops at temples etc.

Pontypridd, United...
Level Contributor
382 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dress code

As Hans says apart from where local culture dictates (temples) the dress code is relaxed. Remember SL is a Bhuddist country, which has a totally different culture and feel to say a Muslim country. You may wish to cover up at certain times though, but simply to avoid being bitten by mozzies

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dress code

Yes, the majority of Sri Lankans (69%) are Buddhists. The largest minority (15%) Tamils are mainly Hindus, but there are 8% Muslims and 8% Christians.

Hans

Blackburn
Level Contributor
310 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dress code

Thank you for the info will it be ok to dress in shorts at the cricket

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dress code

Yes, that is OK.

Hans

Camberley, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dress code

Is there any dress code for men ?

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,497 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dress code

Just follow the advice already given above, ie no shorts above the knee for women OR men at temples, no footwear or hats, and shoulders covered at Buddhist temples - again women AND men should observe this rule. Otherwise, in places that tourists go, the local people will take a relaxed view about what you wear.

Sue

Antarctica
Level Contributor
500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Dress code

Just to add, when visiting hindu temples, men have to remove their shirts when they are going to the inner chamber.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,604 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dress code

Yes but whether it would be allowed at all to visit the inner chamber depends on the temple/priest. For many kovils, run by Tamil priests, it's really reserved for the fellow hindus (Lankans, Indians etc.)

For 'devalas' (hindu temples linked to Buddhist viharas, or indepent - but in both cases open for all) indeed often anyone is allowed, for a donation, and men without shirts then...

Tnx anyhow,

<Erik> & [Sandya]