We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do i need a new visa?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
182 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Do i need a new visa?

In mid febuary i applied for and recieved an eta for Sri Lanka.All was well and we used it on our holidays. On return i put it in the bin.Since then i have been given the chance to go back and so i went on the eta website to re apply and it says i am in posession of a valid visa. I think the eta was valid for 30 days and so i am wondering if i should wait until the other has expired to re apply. On the eta website it does say something about a visa being valid for 90 days and if this is so does anyone know if i can re use the same visa? I am really confused about it . Also wondered about the possibility of applying when i arrive. Not sure what to do, anyone else in a simular position? Thanks.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do i need a new visa?

Tourist ETA is valid for double entry. You can check validity of your ETA at: http://www.eta.gov.lk/slvisa/

Hans

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
182 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do i need a new visa?

Thanks Hans, I have been on this website and i am at this moment in time in posession of a valid eta. I will be back in Sri Lanka on 6th April. The visa i had was a tourist visa and so presumably for 30 days. So i guess the old one will expire in the meantime. Do you know of any restrictions of entering and re-entering Sri Lanka (as in India there is a 2 month rule)? if all else fails is it still possible to obtain one on arrival?. So confused....

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
182 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do i need a new visa?

Replying to self here but....if anyone finds themself in this position. Tourist visa is valid 30 days from arrival and you can apply in the airport on arrival. My current visa should actually expire 17th March.As I am first going to India on 21st March then flying to Sri Lanka this gives me 3 days to get an eta!!! Any opinions as to whether i should wait until i get to the airport or reapply on 17th (Saturday) and hope i at least get it approved in principle?

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do i need a new visa?

ETA is not a visa. ETA is valid for three months.

Hans

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
182 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do i need a new visa?

Oh God this is getting more confusing....so maybe my eta is valid for 3 months and i can re enter and get another visa?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
182 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do i need a new visa?

So just to re-cap. My ETA is valid for 3 months....so no need to re-apply. Just need to get a fresh visa stamp at the airport, and as you say the ETA is double entry then i should have no probs. Correct?

7. Re: Do i need a new visa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 10:17