We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To visit Kandy or not

Edmonton
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
To visit Kandy or not

Hi,

My husband and three children (4-6-8) are going to Sri Lanka at the end of June for 2 weeks. We have planned to hire a driver to take us to the Cultural Triangle (4 nts), Ella (2 nts) , Aragam Bay (3 nts), Yala (2 nts) and to finish off in Tangalla. We are unsure if we should spend one night in Kandy to visit the Temple of the tooth and botanical gardens. As well, debating if we should do one train ride along the way (probably the shortest one available:):)

Any adivce would be appreciated. Thank you, Danielle

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,036 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To visit Kandy or not

Hi Danielle,

It's always subjective. We find the Garden a top esp. for kids, due to e.g. the large trees with a fruit bat colony and the monkeys (but latter also plenty in Triangle). But also love the Temple. Others might disagree..

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
57 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To visit Kandy or not

one night in Kandy might be too short ... esp as you are travelling with kids.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To visit Kandy or not

If you want to do Kandy, then do two nights, visit botanical gardens, really top trip, temple of tooth is ok but touristy, still worth a visit, Kandyan dancing was fun, then you can drive down to Nuwara Eliya following your second nights stay and visit tea factory, then get train from Nanu Oya near Nuwara Eliya, this is a beautiful train journey. I did this trip and we loved all of it.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To visit Kandy or not

sorry meant to say, train from Nanu Oya goes to Ella for your Ella part of your trip. Ella is magical, your kids will love the climb up Little Adams Peak.

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To visit Kandy or not

You can do all the things you want to in Kandy with just one night. You don't really need two, as if you have a generous 4 nights in the Cultural Triangle, you will probably have a good bit of the day that you travel between the two areas, and you can also have extra time on your leaving day before heading south through the hill country if you need it.

I would say that Kandy is definitely a worthwhile stop with children. As Erik says, the Botanical Gardens with the giant fruit bats and all its monkeys, is a real hit with all the family. To the side of the Temple of the Tooth, you can wander around other smaller temples and also pay a visit to the area where they keep the temple elephants.

Sue

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
57 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To visit Kandy or not

3 nights at the Cultural triangle perhaps will do the trick ...

Benissa, Spain
Level Contributor
67 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To visit Kandy or not

I think Kandy has something of interest - have been to the Temple of the Tooth and the cultural dances etc - but with children and travel and packing and unpacking etc, it is possibly the one place on your itinerary that I would skip if you feel pushed for time.

North East England
Level Contributor
122 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: To visit Kandy or not

Definitely visit Kandy. Even for one day you can walk round the lake, see the temple of the tooth and go the Botanical Gardens (which are superb).

If you were looking to shave a day off Id suggest Yala. We did it for one day and that was more than enough.

Edited: 23 March 2012, 16:00
North East England
Level Contributor
122 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To visit Kandy or not

edit: we only stayed in Kandy for one night and we loved it.

Melrose, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: To visit Kandy or not

Hi Danielle,

We returned from our first visit to Sri Lanka last weekand are already planning our visit for next year !

We visited Kandy with a tremendous driver from Husham Tours,he wouldnt have it that we missed any of the sites on the way and on the way back.

We left very early in the morning and our first stop was a pineapple farm with tastings(my daughter loved cutting her own and eating it ),then on to the Millenium Elephant sanctuary,make your own decision about it.

Next it was Geragama tea plantation,built .I loved it and my wife made pleny purchases,then up to the Botanics,that could have taken the whole holiday if it was up to my wife.

Up to Kandy with the `Tooth Temple`for me it was a let down,but you must be the judge.

On the way back we were shown a massive flock (?) of fruit bats,a rubber plantation,we stopped for tea and lovely cakes in a `transport cafe.

Another stop for a travel adaptor which would have been impossible without Hadi our driver.

All this in one trip,along with history and great local information.

We could have taken a trip to Kandy and missed one of the finest drips of our life !

Bob

Got to give you his email; mhhusham@gmail.com