We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

An apology

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
An apology

To those English people who asked about the price of tickets for the test matches... we told you they would be dead cheap. Last September I paid 250 LKR for the best seat in Kandy's new ground to watch Australia. But in Galle today they decided to up the price to 5000 LKR, thereby taking advantage of the large number of England supporters. This was only done at the last minute, once the English had arrived in town. Yet again greed rules and it is no surprise that an increasing number of people are turning their backs on SL due to this desire to charge crazy prices for anything visitors want to see.

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,464 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: An apology

Hi Wadiwadiman

Yep, agree pure greed on the part of SL cricket, but also fair to say that the same price was for locals too, needless to say of course hardly any local turned up to watch thier team..

The cost per day for this match is even more than Australia v England at SCG on a Boxing Day !!

A VERY sad state of affairs, we won't go into CEO's or maybe i should say CEO !! of both SL Cricket, AND the company televising the match, but i think you can get my point !

Regards

Dave

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: An apology

I join the apology from wadiwadiman.

Are you sure locals also paid LKR 5,000?

There was an item on Sirasa News last night on the topic. It seemed that locals had free entrance to some areas. Nishantha Ranatunga - secretary of SLC and CEO of Carlton Sports Network (holder of local TV rights) - was very vague in his statements.

This has never been seen in Sri Lanka before. Will it be seen again or will the Barmy Army stay at home next time England is touring Sri Lanka?

With these rip-off prices I will definitely be watching the 2 tests on TV.

Hans

Antarctica
Level Contributor
510 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: An apology

The locals pay the same price as far as I know. There was outrage in the front pages of local newspapers about this. About the price being far too high. The fact that the ticket prices were Rs 5000 has angered locals more than the tourists.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,772 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: An apology

It has been reported in the sporting pages here in the UK, but luckily for Sri Lankan tourism, its only cricket fans who have heard about it.

I went to Sigiriya 3 years go, & was not impressed at having to pay 6 times as much as a local to go up it. News like this does filter through & does put some repeat tourists off.

Hikkaduwa, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
73 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: An apology

I went the first day, it was pretty unorganised where some people paid 5000rs per person with no shade, or no seat, while others walked through the back door for free, a lot more people went on the fort the second day but do have to say the saddest thing for me was a family came to our Hotel and said as well as the adults paying 5000rs each the children did to so 20000 rs for the family no seats no shade.

I think Colombo will be the same, apart from there wont be no fort to watch for free, out of the whole hotel today only 1 room as gone to watch,

the others have decided to watch it here on TV. Im not a big Cricket fan but feel sorry for the people who have came all this way, and cant get tickets or really dont want to pay 50 uk pounds a day per couple and sit on a grass bank with very limited amenities ie Toilets, shade and seats,

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
352 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: An apology

I can only agree that Monday was a complete and utter shambles at the stadium. Finding a seat was almost impossible after queuing for nearly an hour in full sun to buy tickets. That was after spending 20 mins walking around the ground trying to find out where to buy tickets. All the stadium staff asked told us somewhere different and we were told that the big queue was for those who already had tickets. Once inside the ground there was no water to buy just beer at 150 rupees for a small plastic cup and warm soft drinks at 250 rupees a bottle. Bottled water arrived in the afternoon but we had already gone out to one of the shops nearby to stock up.

Hardly any Sri Lankans there on Monday. Only 2 of our party of 6 went yesterday and they said that the organisation was much better and that no one could now enter the ground without a ticket. The grassy hill was reserved for Sri Lankans. Another 2 have gone today but will be watching from the fort.

Spoke to loads of people on Monday who had planned to go to both tests but just cannot afford to go everyday.

No need to apologise guys how could you have possibly foreseen this.

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,464 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: An apology

A little addition to this...

It has been reported in todays UK press that a "Local Politician" had ordered that a charge of 1000 Rupees (£5.00) be taken from fans attempting to watch the 4th days play at Galle from the Fort Ramparts !

Yet another example, if true of disgraceful rip off tactics !!, this could, along with the ticket price fiasco lead to The Barmy Army not attending for future cricket series, and who could blame them..

Regards

Dave

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: An apology

I heard about this on the BBC, that someone had decided the fans there should pay to sit on the ramparts. I hope they were told where to go!

Hikkaduwa, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
73 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: An apology

It wasnt all the fort that at to pay, but a section got opened and people were given a plastic chair and charged a 1000rs

10. Re: An apology

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2013, 10:23