We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sri Lankan Airlines

Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Sri Lankan Airlines

Has anyone flown recently with Sri Lankan?

I was on flight UL504 from LHR to Columbo on 2nd April. I can't tell you how disappointed I was with the flight. I have pictures as proof of all of these issues:

The arms of our arm resets were broken.

The headphone sockets did not work in all of the arm rests and the connections were lose.

We were told that there was a selection of movies available to watch. In fact there was a movie card showing some 8-10 movies available to watch. In reality, there were two movies only, both were very poor quality and sound and mine kept resetting to the air channel during the middle of the movie.

The food was terrible and there were no child meals, although we had pre-ordered.

I would love to hear from others.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,703 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sri Lankan Airlines

Friends flew a few months back. Outbound same story as yours, inbound a lot better with a refurbished plane. So it really depends on which plane you get...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sri Lankan Airlines

Thanks. However, people should be forewarned. Don't book with Sri Lankan as the planes are old and broken.

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,448 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sri Lankan Airlines

Hi there...

Yes, it would seem that you were on a plane that even it's crews don't like flying, "probably" an A340 code 4R-ADB, it is know as "The Nightmare".. by the crews because of so many things that go wrong with it..

Due to be "Retired" soon...

Hopefully you won't get it on the return flight...

Regards

Dave

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,046 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sri Lankan Airlines

Naga,

our flight in October was really good actually. nothing broken or torn, great food, and very comfy, great staff.

but we have unfortunately come across the nightmare flights you described, those were the times i never wanted to fly srilankan again (but they are the only ones who have direct flights from Rome...)

Edited: 06 April 2012, 16:31
5. Re: Sri Lankan Airlines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 23:17