We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Colombo £8,111

London
Level Contributor
196 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
London to Colombo £8,111

I've been monitoring Sri Lanka Air's flights for some time now, waiting for them to publish their flights for March 2013. They became available two days ago and the cheapest return flight departing 15 March and returning 30 March is £8,111. Should I be looking for an alternative holiday destinations next year? Preferably, one where I won't have to sell a kidney on the black market to raise the flight fare?

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
11,437 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London to Colombo £8,111

Use another airline like Emirates

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London to Colombo £8,111

Looks like the cheaper fare classes are not yet loaded.

Hans

somerset uk
Level Contributor
365 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: London to Colombo £8,111

I have never paid more than £550 for return flight to SL from Heathrow and always go on Sri Lankan - someone is having a laugh. Wait until nearer the time. No way is it worth paying that much.

Richard

London
Level Contributor
196 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London to Colombo £8,111

Prefer not to go the Emirates route as their flights are in-direct but had a look anyway. In March 2013 their return fares are approximately £600 and in November 2012 they are approximately £450 which doesn't make an awful lot of sense to me either. I would have thought the earlier you book the cheaper the flights, not vice versa.

How far in advance do you guys usually book your flights?

Melbourne, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: London to Colombo £8,111

i flew london - sri lanka recently via sri lankan airlines. I hadn't flown for a few years that airline as i had been taking airlines that fly through dubai or qatar.

The most obvious change is that SL airlines fleet and service are OLD... I tried two seats and the mechanisms were broken; since my flight was return... i noted that none of the TV screens worked clearly - all had blurry lines. I actually took 4 SL Airlines flights as I was flying from malaysia - SL - london return.

in addition to this they routed me through paris because an SL airline flight was grounded due to not being airworthy.

I would avoid SL airlines; even though it is direct... it just isn't pleasant and is open to delays... my 5am flight landed at 9am. service and food is non existent.

I thought mine was a one off experience, but a lot of locals just dont fly SL airlines anymore.

London
Level Contributor
196 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London to Colombo £8,111

Thanks for the advice, I'm not a huge fan of flying at the best of times so anything as innocent as a fuzzy TV screen or broken chair is liable to have me sweating throughout the entire flight. I have been previously put off SL by their lack of responses to emails and their bizarre scheduling of flight publishing and pricing system, which a couple of tour operators admitted was a bit crazy as well. I think I'll go with Emirates. The switch over shouldn't be too much of a drama.

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London to Colombo £8,111

Hi there...

Did you try to call SriLankan's London office ?, if not maybe give them a call after the holiday weekend.

Reservations: 020 8538 2000/2001

Sales: 020 8538 2023

Also worth noting, by the time you are planning to fly, ALL thier Colombo-LHR-Colombo planes will be the upgraded A330's and not the old A340's....

Regards

Dave

8. Re: London to Colombo £8,111

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 17:17