We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help please with itinerary travelling early July

Leeton, Australia
Level Contributor
87 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Help please with itinerary travelling early July

could you please give comments on itinerary

we are two families traveling with teenagers in hire car with driver and guide

Day 1 Negombo

Day 2 Habrana visit elephant orphanage on way

Day 3 Habrana see ancient cities

Day 4 Anuradhapura

Day 5 Trincomalee hot springs on way

Day 6 Trincomalee pigeon island

Day 7 Batticoloa ( I have an appointment early in morning and cannot change) drive to Badulla in afternoon

Day 8 Badulla catch train to ella

Day 9 Ella drive to Nuwara Elliya

Day 10 Nuwara Elliya

Day 1 1Kandy

Day 12 Kandy

Day 13 Kandy to airport

Am i trying to do too much ?? i dont want to spend the holiday in car

Have I missed out on any must see??

Should i be staying in any place longer and cut short other places or towns

Where can I fit in a visit to a national park that will not take us out of the way

help greatly appreciated

thanks again

tripadvisor

Brisbane
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help please with itinerary travelling early July

I suggest that you go straight from Negombo via Kurunegala to Habarana where you may even do an elephant safari if you choose and have the time. The elephant orphanage at Pinnewala is some distance further from Kandy towards Mawanella on the Kegalle Road but you can visit there and return to Kandy quite easily. Alternatively, should you have time, you could call in there on the Nuwara Eliya to Kandy part and then back track to rejoin the road near Peredeniya. Another alternative is to visit the orphanage on your return trip to Katunayake, depending on check in times.

May I ask, when do you plan on doing this trip ? I haven't yet been to Batticoloa and Trinco and plan to do so September in the reverse of your trip plan so I am interested in any reports on accomodation and good eating places in Trinco and Batticoloa.

Archi

Edited: 11 May 2012, 11:03
Brisbane
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help please with itinerary travelling early July

sorry aussie deb - just reread and saw your trip is for July !

iIll look out for some feedback!

Enjoy Lanka

Archi

Negombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
69 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help please with itinerary travelling early July

Hi

Almost half of your tour in your car. You've planed to spend much time in your car on road. Try bellow.

Day 1 Negombo

Day 2 Habrana visit elephant orphanage on way

Day 3 Habrana see ancient cities in Polonnaruwa.

Day 4 Sigiriya

Day 5 Trincomalee hot springs on way

Day 6 Trincomalee pigeon island

Day 7 Batticoloa ( I have an appointment early in morning and cannot change) drive to Badulla in afternoon

Day 8 Badulla catch train to ella

Day 9 Ella drive to Nuwara Elliya

Day 10 Nuwara Elliya

Day 1 1Kandy

Day 12 Kandy

Day 13 Kandy to airport

Edited: 11 May 2012, 11:09
Brisbane
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help please with itinerary travelling early July

aussiedeb

To be more specific about an elephant safari : you can visit one of the National Parks in the Habarana. Minneriya/Giratale area. The elephants move freely between these parks in an elephant corridor. If you want to visit a NP in this area you can arrange this through your accommodation or, if you have an experienced driver/guide, he will have contacts for a jeep. The actual NP you would get to visit would depend on which one the elephants were in at the time you visit. The rangers and guides usually always know where the elephants are.[ Mobile phones give the here and now info.] These parks don't have the wider range of wildlife to see that Yala has.

My experience in SL is that unless you have loads of time and very little baggage a car is the best means of transport. I have travelled by train and bus many times. If you take the train from Badulla to Ella your car can take your bags and meet you at the end of your train trip.

My Kadulla NP post may give you ideas.

…blogspot.com.au/2011/01/elephants-at-kaudal…

Again, enjoy Lanka

Archi

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
96 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help please with itinerary travelling early July

Hi

rather than doing negambo habarana as you have planned, you can do negambo -anuradhapura and then habarana. from where you can head to trinco easily than from anuradhapura. apart from that it is fine.

with national parks. you can visit wilpattu which is very close to anuradhapura.,thus it wont put you off from your tour.

6. Re: Help please with itinerary travelling early July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 21:42