We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yala hotel

dorset
Level Contributor
179 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Yala hotel

Can't decide - Chaaya Wild or Yala safari Game Lodge? Help please!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,231 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yala hotel

Might be mistaken but CW is the new name for the Game Lodge? TA info is not very clear but cannot find any recent references to the Lodge...

Tnx,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

dorset
Level Contributor
179 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yala hotel

TA says Chaaya Wild is formerly Yala Village and is under B&B's. Yala safari Game Lodge is under hotels.

Now I'm really confused as it does seem to have different reviws.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,231 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yala hotel

Well TA is often a mess with hotels. There was a hotel called Safari Game Lodge but Dec 2004 it was completely devastated by the tsunami, together with Brown's Beach. But in the reviews upto this year I still see that name appearing with descriptions looking a lot like Yala (Safari) Village, now Chaaya Wild. Which is not and never was a B&B, it's a 2-3 star hotel.

I'd just inquire with the party trying to have you book Game Lodge what the address is and what they mean...

Tnx,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,231 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yala hotel

OK, more research

lankapuvath.lk/index.php/more-news/travel-an…

So what is offered is NOT the safari game lodge. Saw some offerings like " Yala Safari Beach Hotel, now re-named Yala Safari Game Lodge" but Safari Beach is inferior to Chaaya Wild.

So I'd go for Wild, the real SG Lodge will reopen at earliest fall 2012 it seems; not yet even mentioned on the Jetwing site.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

dorset
Level Contributor
179 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yala hotel

You really are quite brilliant, many thanks for that and all the work it involved. Have a nice weekend.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,231 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yala hotel

Well, I'm ashamed about the mess Lankan tourism business sometimes makes and had to sort out ;-). Temporary claiming the name of a well-known but still closed hotel to pimp up a lower-quality one; and some pics I saw at booking sites for 'Safari Game Lodge' had an extremely high resemblance to the famous pool and restaurant annex viewing deck of Safari Village/Chaaya hotel, another attempt of pimping...

Hope it works out well, and enjoy at Chaaya as we did a few years back,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

7. Re: Yala hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 07:15