We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Palms Hotel, Kalatura

Durham, England
11 posts
Save Topic
Royal Palms Hotel, Kalatura

Hi Fellow Travellers, we are travelling to Royal Palms with our five yr old boy.

Is there any shops which sell bucket & spade & lilo etc.

Also does anyone have any idea of how much the trips cost, we have travelled with mercury direct. E.g an overnight trip to Kandy or the Yalla Game Park (which I think we will be quite near?)

Also we are getting mixed reports on whether we need to take anti-malaria tablets, has anyone/everyone taken them (we will be doing visits to main sites in sri lanka but not in the far north.

Thank you in advance!!

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,464 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal Palms Hotel, Kalatura

Hi there....

There was a shop selling those items you mentioned, it is a 5 minute drive away though towards Kalutara on left hand side.

Malaria pills ?, well there is a slight risk in a couple of places, Yala and in Cultural Triangle, especially if staying overnight, which you would have to do if planning to visit from Kalutara, you will not need the pills in Kalutara itself..

You should of course consult your GP or Practice Nurse for the up to date info on these and other precautions that you will need.

Trips with Mercury Direct ?, can't be sure, but will not be a cheap as booking with a local operator that's for sure, send me a PM and i will let you have contact details of a local driver/guide who lives in Kalutara..

Regards

Dave

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal Palms Hotel, Kalatura

Yala NP is approx. 5.5-6 hours drive from Royal Palms Beach.

Hans

Edited: 29 May 2012, 23:13
3. Re: Royal Palms Hotel, Kalatura

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2012, 12:25
Tyne and Wear...
Level Contributor
694 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal Palms Hotel, Kalatura

read the reviews of the hotel sometimes they have mention of persons that they have used for trips or they may have just mentioned going on trips ask them who they used and would they recommend

Hampshire
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Royal Palms Hotel, Kalatura

Hi,

We got back from Sri Lanka on Saturda. We stayed at Royal palms for 2 weeks. We did a three day tour in the middle we booked with a company i found online called LP tours, the furthest north we went i think was Sigira. We did not take any malaria tablets. To be honest there were not that many mozzies about, the hotel changed on a daily basis the repelant chip in the rooms every day which did the job! The hotel is air conditioned and there we no mozzies in the hotel that i saw.

I cannot remember if the shop sold buckets and spades etc but that Arpico super centre had all that sort of stuff. Get a tuk tuk outside the hotel gates and ask them to take you there. We walked a few times which was a good experiance!

I am sure you will have a lovely holiday!

6. Re: Royal Palms Hotel, Kalatura

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 05:16