We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

USD or not

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
41 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
USD or not

I will be traveling through Malaysia, Borneo, Cambodia & Sri Lanka this summer. I know that US dollars are an accepted currency in Cambodia but would it be of benefit to bring Dollars to Sri Lanka & Malaysia or is the local currency only used? Advice welcome.

Manchester, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: USD or not

USD can be used in SL.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: USD or not

Only few places in Sri Lanka will accept USD in Sri Lanka and that at a lousy rate. Legally Sri Lankans are not allowed to possess foreign currencies without a permit.

Best is to change to LKR at banks or moneychangers.

Hans

Edited: 10 June 2012, 09:08
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: USD or not

Most of the reputed places are accept $. but every ware its not possible. Specially for small payments if you pay using USD you will financial losses.

Always keep some amount of local currency in your hand. you can change money easily from any town.

Sharon Gunathilake GST

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: USD or not

Most of the reputed places are accept $.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where could that be? I have always been asked to pay in LKR - even when prices were quoted in USD.

Hans

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,463 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: USD or not

Hi there...

Some larger hotels will accept US $, but not on good exchange rates, also beach boys for trips ect, but again not good exchange rates..

Regards

Dave

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
41 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: USD or not

'Legally Sri Lankans are not allowed to possess foreign currencies without a permit.' Strange that several holiday companies I have been in touch with re tours & accommodation are quoting me in USDs & have asked for USDs Bank Drafts to be paid to them on confirmation of booking. I suppose it's a mixture so? All above advice very helpful: get local currency on landing in Colombo from ATM. Kandy is sure to have ATMs as well. Thanks for the help. J

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,129 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: USD or not

The holiday companies and hotels often have money exchanger licenses or are linked to one. But for foreign drafts and payments there is quite a different reason. Due to the fluctuating rate of the rupee many local companies find it safer to fix their price in USD. But you pay them locally in rupees (if you want a good rate) or in rare cases USD. Also though the money might be in their bank accounts as USD or LKR, cash withdrawal in Lanka for them is absolutely solely LKR...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: USD or not

www.island.lk/index.php…

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
41 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: USD or not

Thanks for the posts & link, serious. All advice is welcome & helpful. Cheers, J

10. Re: USD or not

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 03:16