We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sri Lanka. Is it worth it?

Bridgend, United...
Level Contributor
195 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Sri Lanka. Is it worth it?

Hi

I have been considering a multi destination trip next June and one of the possible destinations is Sri Lanka. I have only started researching, and I have left questions on Thorn Tree about where to go, prices, best beaches ect. So far I have been given very negative reviews/experiences ect, which is starting to put me off from going there. I need other perspectives and points of view. I am also aware that it is the monsoon season. Two places I am consiedring are Hikkaduwa and Balapitiya beach, so my question to you is it a yes or a no. cheers in advance

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sri Lanka. Is it worth it?

Hi,

June is in the 1st inter monsoon season with quite unsettled weather on the west coast where Hikkaduwa and Balapitiya are located.

You may experience 3 types of days:

- Fully clouded with the odd shower, light or heavy

- 3-4 hours sunshine after 8 am and clouds building up in the afternoon with hefty thundershowers late afternoon, evening and night

- sun-clouds-rain-sun again and so on with the sunny spells lasting at least an hour and minimum 4 hours per day.

In June you can find nice weather on the east coast, e.g. Trincomalee/Nilaveli (snorkeling/swimming) or Arugam Bay (surfing).

Hans

Brisbane
Level Contributor
2,283 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sri Lanka. Is it worth it?

There are different negative points for different people about SL, as with every other destination, and these are influenced by the individual's expectations and wants list. If the negatives you have seen are a worry to you, you may go to SL with these in mind and even looking to experience them. In that case, your holiday time may be better spent elsewhere. If you want primarily a beach holiday then maybe research another destination at this time unless you want to go to the East Coast and do other things along the way.

Have you read any positive reviews? If so, do the points mentioned appeal to you? Many people do have a great time in SL. [It would be helpful if more JBRs were posted to get a balanced view.]

The answer you seek - yes or no - is up to you.

Happy holiday!

Archi

Tauranga, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sri Lanka. Is it worth it?

I know how you feel. I was apprehensive regarding SL but having benn there in April/May it was a trip of a lifetime. I think you may get some better feedback if you list your holiday must haves and a bit about you which makes it easier to respond to your needs etc...

Despite my reservation I went with an open mind/heart and cannot wait to get back there ASAP.

Like I said - more about you will help us help you

Bridgend, United...
Level Contributor
195 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sri Lanka. Is it worth it?

To be honest I dont have many must haves as you say. I only require the usual culture, and to just experience a country I have never visited before. We are only there for a week so we are restricted to Colombo and the S/W coast, If the east coast has good transport options then I would love to get over there for the duration. I am fully aware that that side has the best weather for that time of the year. We only want a decent beach, which has some nightlife, and if we enjoy then we will come back again at a later time for a longer period and see more of the country.

Edited: 06 July 2012, 11:56
Mentioned in this post
Colombo
Colombo
Western Province, Sri Lanka
Brisbane
Level Contributor
2,283 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sri Lanka. Is it worth it?

OK. With just a week in June then it may be better to defer a visit to SL for another time and month, given that you are interested in beaches and the travel time to the East coast [because of road conditions ] would eat into precious time. It could be done though, with car and driver hire. There's not much in the way of nightlife outside major hotels [ even there, not a lot] and Colombo.

Mentioned in this post
Colombo
Colombo
Western Province, Sri Lanka
Sth Aust
Level Contributor
72 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sri Lanka. Is it worth it?

We have just come back from Sri Lanka and spent 4 days at Arugam Bay. We werent looking for night life but didnt see much there but it is a great place and a highlight of our 2 week trip. You can see elephants in the wild, arrange a safari to Yala East, surf and just swim, eat and drink. We stayed at Hideway which was great but if you are younger than us you might find Mambo's the place to be.

You could easily travel from Columbo to Aragum bay in a day. A night in Ella might be good on the way through and a night or 2 in Mirissa on the way back. It would be quite a lot of travelling though. We didnt have a day of rain for the whole 2 weeks but we might just have been lucky.

Bridgend, United...
Level Contributor
195 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sri Lanka. Is it worth it?

Thanks for all the above input. We have months to book our trip for next year, so more researching needs to be done.

Cheers

Singapore, Singapore
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sri Lanka. Is it worth it?

I just came back from Sri Lanka not long ago. It was great! It wasn't rainy except in the highlands, and wasn't THAT HOT either. As for the beach, according to our guide, at this time of the year the eastern beaches (Trincomalee etc) would be calmer while the S/W beaches would be more beautiful at the end of the year. I stayed at a S/W beach though, the sea wasn't calm and blue but hey, great waves to frolic in ;) Still beautiful!

I did a 11-day tour around Sri Lanka, with JourneyScapes. Basically I chose their Classical tour and added stuff to it. Their emails are extremely forthcoming and at the end of it I really got the trip I wanted :) I enquired at MANY other tour companies but they either wasn't that responsive over email, or was much more expensive.

http://www.srilankaclassicaltours.com/

Email them! You won't be disappointed :) I had the best trip of my life, ever.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
12,050 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sri Lanka. Is it worth it?

i agree with Archi, if you have only one week, and looking forward to the beaches in June, then no, its not worth it.

10. Re: Sri Lanka. Is it worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 10:15