We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for some great private drivers in Sri Lanka?

London
Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for some great private drivers in Sri Lanka?

We went to Sri Lanka just under a month ago and had 2 very very good drivers. We had 2 because one could not help us the whole time - so he recommended one of his friends to help us for the second part of the trip.

The 2 were very different - both equally good but depends on what you are looking for.

The first Shashi was soo helpful in the lead up to our trip - he helped me plan my itinerary and was very very professional and friendly.

Mandjula was a bit more casual - but a lot of fun to travel with. We are a early 30s couple and found Mandjula great! Nothing was too much for him - he really went above and beyond to please us.

If you want either of their contact details - send me a message.

Mentioned in this post
1. Re: Looking for some great private drivers in Sri Lanka?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2012, 11:01
Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
154 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for some great private drivers in Sri Lanka?

Well though I do not have any recommendaton regarding whom you should hire, I can definitely tell about my experience and whom you should surely not hire. Based on recommendation from a TA member (may be had good experience), I hired Gerard (Tara Liesure Travel) for 5 days (LKR 5000 per day + LKR 1000 for accomodation). Upon landing, he was there with my name card, So could eaily spot him. But that was the end of good times with Gerard. My later review is based upon attitude of Gerard, but I would just point out that he has a van, which though comfortable, has rear windows sealed - this was an irritant for me. Coming back to my experience, Gerard had big problems for driving long distances. Once we drove from Colombo to Nuwara Eliya, he did not seem to be in a mood to drive further. I asked him about 2-3 places where he wanted to go, for every place he told me that we could visit these while heading back to Colombo. In any case I did not create much fuss about it, I told him we would like to go to a coffee shop after dinner (around 9 PM). While he made faces, he took us to the town. However, second day, we expected him to tell us various places to visit, which he anyways never did, he rather kep discouraging us from going to far off places. He never took us to Ramboda water fall, macWoods Tea Factory telling we would go there on the way back to Colombo. Also, on second day, we again told him that we would like to go for coffee ilike the previous day, he said yes, but when I called him, his phone was switched off! When I went to his room, I realised he has already slept. Wow. unimaginable. In any case because of Gerard's tantrums, we had four places to visit, MacWods Tea Factor, Pinewalla Elephant Orphanage, Ramboda waterfall and Kandy Tooth Temple while our way back on the third day. This was impossible to do (we learnt this on our way back) and thus had to miss Pinewalla. I guess this was really frustrating for me as just don't like to haggle, and this was the primary reason to hire an independent car, have a full flexibility during travel and this purpose was defeated. On top of this, Gerard is not guide, as he claims, since he never accompanied to any of the sites we went to (guides are surely supposed to do so) and just used to park his van at a distance and left us on our own. We really had to face inconvenience because of this on a couple of occasion.

Finally, continuing from above, on our way back, we missed Pinewalla and reached Colombo at 12 AM. Surprisingly, Gerard blamed this on us and said he stays near Colombo and would go to his home to stay and asked for payment due till that time. I immediately understood he would not come back, and he admitted when I probed him. Thus we were left vehicle-less and it was difficult to hire anyone for last one day, and was anyways the least cost-efficient option.

In short, I had very unpleasent experience with Gerard and would definitely NOT recommend Gerard.

Thanks

- R

Mentioned in this post
Colombo
Colombo
Western Province, Sri Lanka
Nuwara Eliya
Nuwara Eliya
Central Province, Sri Lanka
Ramboda
Ramboda
Central Province, Sri Lanka
Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage
Pinnawala Elephant...
3,507 Reviews
Pinnawala, Sri Lanka
Ramboda Waterfall
Ramboda Waterfall
111 Reviews
Pussellawa, Sri Lanka
Kandy
Kandy
Kandy District, Sri Lanka
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for some great private drivers in Sri Lanka?

Hi TeresaRimquis,

Can you pass your driver contact. Our family is planning on visiting next year and would like to secure a driver. Thanks.

4. Re: Looking for some great private drivers in Sri Lanka?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 August 2012, 04:37
5. Re: Looking for some great private drivers in Sri Lanka?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 August 2012, 11:05
6. Re: Looking for some great private drivers in Sri Lanka?

Removed on: 03 September 2012, 19:35
Paris, France
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for some great private drivers in Sri Lanka?

Hi,

Would love to get the details of the drivers you mention If you still have them! Heading I Colombo in 4 days now, can't wait!

Mentioned in this post
Colombo
Colombo
Western Province, Sri Lanka
Manchester, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for some great private drivers in Sri Lanka?

Hi Teresa, please can you send me the details of your drivers. We're currently planning our trip and can't wait! Thanks! :)

UK
Level Contributor
18 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for some great private drivers in Sri Lanka?

Could you pm me the drivers details

Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for some great private drivers in Sri Lanka?

Hi can you pass on the name of drivers please. Am going to SL in 4 weeks and am trying to plan out my trip. Couple in our early 30s and would love to get this booked now. Also, did u book your own accommodation before you went or did you leave it up to the driver? Thanks