We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colombo Int. Airport luggage check-in & ETA visa overstay by

Prague
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Colombo Int. Airport luggage check-in & ETA visa overstay by

Hi. Recently I have bought the tickets for our holiday in Sri Lanka in December using a promo action, which pressed me to do some last-minute itinerary changes. Too late I realized that due to that we will actually overstay our 30-day ETA visa by at least one day (our flight is leaving at 2:55 at night and we will of course try to pass the immigration before midnight to limit it to one day only). Please help me to clarify our options.

1. How long before the flight time will the luggage check-in counters be opened (flying Emirates) at the Colombo Int. Airport? Could we manage to check-in our luggage in some 4 hours before the flight to be able to pass the immigration on the 31st day of our stay? Does anybody tried/managed to check in so early? Naturally, we will try to speed up the process using the on-line check-in but we cannot be sure we will be able to print out our receipts.

2. What happens when leaving the country with an expired visa? I went through posts here and it looks that there should be no problem at all with a one-day overstay but there seems to be contradictory information about the 2-day overstay. Some say it is no big deal (possibly some 5-USD penalty fee per day beyond one extra day uptill 5 days overstay) but I have also found here a report of a traveller who got charged a 100-USD fee when overstaying by 2 days. Can anybody please share her/his experience in this matter?

Naturally I was considering extending our visa but the procedure seems to be very time consuming, requiring not only getting the actual extension in the Colombo's Department of Emigration and Immigration but also prior registration with the Colombo's Aliens Bureau - as both of our flights will happens over weekends, this excersize would easily eat out about a week of our stay in Sri Lanka.

Could anybody please share her/his experience. Thank you in advance.

Prague
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Colombo Int. Airport luggage check-in & ETA visa overstay by

The subject is incomplete - it should include:

ETA visa overstay by 1/2 days

Sorry for that

Edited: 03 August 2012, 09:33
Prague
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Colombo Int. Airport luggage check-in & ETA visa overstay by

Hi. I have just found that there is another issue to consider when solving my problem.

It is the matter of counting the "days" of the stay. I have found information that a general practice in Sri Lanka may be actually counting for the visa purposes the nights spend in the country, not the days in calender. That would be very good news for me, as we would spend exactly 30 days in Sri Lanka when not counting the night of our departure.

Could anybody please comment on this information?

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,448 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Colombo Int. Airport luggage check-in & ETA visa overstay by

Hi there....

Yes, if NO longer than 30 NIGHTS staying in accomodation, then you should be ok, i have done this on more than one occasion...

Regards

Dave

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,703 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Colombo Int. Airport luggage check-in & ETA visa overstay by

Hi there,

Always a complex matter. In our experience it's 30 days meaning 29 nights. And extending is a _relatively_ painless matter; just takes 1 day travelling to the correct Department in Borella-Colombo and maybe 2 hours processing/wait time there. But a not cheap visa fee, for Eurozone around 40 euro hence something a bit (but not much) lower for Cz...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,703 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Colombo Int. Airport luggage check-in & ETA visa overstay by

Interesting, Dave and our friends having different experiences. But much is possible in Lanka.

Just to answer your other option: no luggage check-in generally opens 2-3 hours before flight departure. And you can't clear Emigration without having dropped the luggage...

All the best with the puzzle,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Colombo Int. Airport luggage check-in & ETA visa overstay by

Emirates check in counters open 3 hours prior to departure.

Strangely Immigration Department does not have a fee for visa extension for citizens of Czech Republic. Could it be free?

www.immigration.gov.lk/web/index.php…

You don't need registration with the Colombo's Aliens Bureau.

Hans

Edited: 03 August 2012, 12:02
somerset uk
Level Contributor
315 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Colombo Int. Airport luggage check-in & ETA visa overstay by

The one time I tried to check in early I had to wait until the three hours before check in time - they wouldn't let me through until then. And the one time I have extended my visa at Borella it took about 4 hours - lots of different desks to queue at, all seemingly checking the same thing!

Good luck.

Richard

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Colombo Int. Airport luggage check-in & ETA visa overstay by

Must have been some times ago, Richard.

Now you get the form just inside visa section. You fill in the form and attach a photo, and queue outside an assistant controller's office (1 of 4 offices). You get a token and wait for your number to be called. Then you go to the cashier and pay your visa fee. Finally you wait for your number to be called again, and you are done.

If you go early (I believe they open at 9 am or 9.30 am) the process is faster. It usually takes me 2-2.5 hours.

Hans

Prague
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Colombo Int. Airport luggage check-in & ETA visa overstay by

Hi guys, thanks for your time offering your knowledge.

Yes, one thing for is sure - the experience of various people varies and so it is clearly not really settled even for SL officials. I have found a post of a guy who got asked to pay USD100 fee for ovestaying by two days and was told that there was no way to change it as it was "computer generated" (but he was allowed to leave without paying it by having it sticked to his passport as a fee to be paid with his next visit). It is a typical visa mess anyway.

#Hans: Right, no info about the fee on Czech SL consulate pages but I very sincerely doubt it may be free. Yet, I have tried to search all around SL official pages and they have never give this information too (??!!!), Other travellers posts typically give some USD50 fee for visa extension. Yet, the same Czech SL consulate pages specifically insists on our pre-registration before asking for visa extension (clearly there is some confusion and randomness in the process).

#chek-in counters in Colombo: You are right about 3-hour counters opening interval in CMB - yet, I contacted Emirates representatives in Colombo and they suggested even several ways how to check us in earlier - in fact, I am indeed impressed by the Emirates care about their clients and also kindness of Sri Lankans (I hope they will stick to their offers).

Well, after processing all the information we will likely try to rough it. It should be possible to push ourselves in before midnight and I do hope we could chat up that extra day. The other options seem to be overly expensive either moneywise (ticket change or visa extension) and/or timewise (visa extension).

Edited: 07 August 2012, 08:29
Level Contributor
3 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Colombo Int. Airport luggage check-in & ETA visa overstay by

Hi there,

Can u let me know what happen at the end because I m actually in the same situation. Flight at 2 55 with emirate on the the 11 and my visa I valid until the 10.

Thanks