We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding booked at Tangerine Beach Hotel

Bristol,England
Level Contributor
85 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Wedding booked at Tangerine Beach Hotel

Hello, Have just booked our wedding at Tangerine Beach all through Hayes and Jarvis. For Dec this year. We would like an elephant at some point during the service or for photos. H&J are requesting £150, which seems a bit steep. I have been trying to contact hotel regarding this. I read somewhere that they have a resident elephant. Does anyone have a contact no or e-mail address for hotel.

Many Thanks

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
58,743 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding booked at Tangerine Beach Hotel

Hi there,

You could try

tangerinebeach@tangerinehotels.com

Not certain whether it's overpriced though. The hotel has no resident jumbo but there's one jumbo rotating over the various beach places in the Bentota-Wadduwa area (and at times even upto Ahungalla). So there is 'transport cost', planning etc. involved to get it at the right time with you.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding booked at Tangerine Beach Hotel

I am attending a wedding at Club Bentota in March 2013. As a guide, Kuoni are charging 150 US Dollars for the elephant at the wedding, the same price quoted by the hotel.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
58,743 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding booked at Tangerine Beach Hotel

Okay, that's a good yardstick. 40-50% below the same amount in pounds from H&J :-(((

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding booked at Tangerine Beach Hotel

Hi there...

Try this e-mail address for your queries, it is for the hotel's Assistant Manager:

am@tangerine.lk

Telephone: 0094 34 22 37295

Kalutara/Bentota/Beruwela hotels share an elephant, pops in a couple of times a week for rides ect, but can be booked for weddings....

Regards

Dave

Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
222 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wedding booked at Tangerine Beach Hotel

we married in SL a few years ago now, and I would advise to buy everything locally. You will be far more likely to get things your way and far cheaper than the 'package' the travel agents want to sell you. Good luck with the wedding.

Bristol,England
Level Contributor
85 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wedding booked at Tangerine Beach Hotel

Thank you for e-mail address, have sent e-mail so shall wait a reply.

Also thank you all for your replies and wishes. Looking forward to wedding and especially Sri Lanka as its our first visit..

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Wedding booked at Tangerine Beach Hotel

Hi Molly57,

£150 it's too much for the wedding Elephant, last year my brother got married at Kani Lanka Hotel Kalutara, it was cost only £90 for the wedding Elephant ,

All the best

Theresa

Rochester
Level Contributor
153 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wedding booked at Tangerine Beach Hotel

We have just got back from the Tangerine Beach where we were married two weeks ago..... Monica the Elephant played a very special part of our ceremony..as said before she is the only elephant in the area and she and her mahoot travel by foot to the hotel.

She is worth every single penny spent, she is so well behaved a very calm elephant she knows what to do....we did not realise she was walking behind us!

Mr Sumith - and his team fbmgr@tangerine.lk arranged our wedding which went like a dream.

The following day we went to a Perahara in Colombo - Monica was the lead elephant in the parade, she took a double take when she saw me in the crowd and came towards me..her Mahoot looked a little bemused until he realised why....a very special moment!

...and it's not very often you get an invoice for an elephant!

Oh don't forget that the paperwork (Birth Certs, copies of passports and single status documents - decree absolute -if needed) now need to be stamped by the FCO in Milton Keynes.

Hope you have a wonderful day - it was the best day of our lives!

Mentioned in this post
Colombo
Colombo
Western Province, Sri Lanka
Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wedding booked at Tangerine Beach Hotel

Hi treeneyweeney, can you give me any details about the paperwork having to be stamped by FCO as Kuoni have not advised us about this. Regards

Rochester
Level Contributor
153 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wedding booked at Tangerine Beach Hotel

We had a Statutory Declaration of single status drawn up at our Solicitors it states our name, DOB, passport number, nationality, occupation, fathers address and occupation divorce date (if applicable) confirming that we were free to marry and contained copies of passport, birth certificates, decree absolute (if applicable).

This needs to be certified along with original copies of birth certificates decree absolute if applicable and photocopy of passport by the British Foreign & Commonwealth offiice in Milton Keynes. Please check the Sri Lankan High Commision site for full details you also need to get a business visa rather than a tourist one, not sure why but it was really simple.

We were informed too late to get ours certified in the UK, so were unsure if the marriage would actually be legal, but the Tangerine Beach Management team bent over backwards to assist us, they contacted the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Colombo and we had to go in person to Colombo along with two of the Tangerine Staff we met with the Director at the Ministry who went through our paperwork and said it was all in order and could then be certified. I think that we would the last ones to be able to do this.

Despite this it was a truly wonderful day thanks to Mr Sumith!

Regards Treeney

Mentioned in this post
Colombo
Colombo
Western Province, Sri Lanka