We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Srilanka 4 Nights 5 Days

Bangalore, India
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Srilanka 4 Nights 5 Days

Hi,

I am Planning to Visit Sri Lanka from the 1st to 6th Of November ( Ideally a 4 nights 5 Days trip) with my Family and Frens (10 people in all). Can you suggest some good places to visit which are authentic Srilankan? I already have Kandy, Colombo, Bentota, Sigiriya and Polonnaruwa in my mind for those 5 days. will it be too much to do in 5 days?

I don want the trip to be packed with too many things.

I also want to Visit Anaradhapura, But i get to know that it is about 8 Hours of drive from Colombo, Is Anuradhapura really worth packing it in my 5 days trip?

Which is the "Do Not Miss while in Srilanka" place of all these Places? Can i stay in Colombo and do a daily drive to all the places mentioned? is Colombo a better place to Stay or bentota considering the proximity to other places and cost?

Also, is Colombo a tourist city or just another metropolitan city like Bangalore?

Thanks in Advance for your Advice ;)

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Srilanka 4 Nights 5 Days

Early November the weather on the west coast can be quite unsettled. Weather in Cultural Triangle and Kandy will likely be better.

I suggest you spend 2 nights in Cultural Triangle (Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa, Anuradhapura) and 2 nights in Kandy.

You can't stay in Colombo and do day trips. It's 3-5 hours drive each way to the places you want to visit. Colombo is not very touristy. More a shopping hub.

Hans

Bangalore, India
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Srilanka 4 Nights 5 Days

Thanks Hans.

Did a lill more research this time, are 2 nights and 2 days in the cultural triangle be enough to cover Anuradha Pura, Mihintale, Polonnaruwa, Dambula Cave Temple and Sigiriya (hope all the mentioned places come under the Cultural Triangle) If it gets too hectic, which of the mentioned can be skipped?

And cover Kandy, Colombo and Bentota over the next 2 nights 3 days?

what kinda shopping can be done in Colombo? are the prices Tourist friendly?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Colombo known for?

3. Re: Srilanka 4 Nights 5 Days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 00:22
Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,898 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Srilanka 4 Nights 5 Days

You have very limited time and Colombo could potentially take up a lot of it as you find your way to shopping places in heavy traffic. Getting 10 people ready to move from place to place could be interesting too! I have enough fun moving just one! What shopping are you looking at doing? Colombo is not exactly a shopper's mecca.

You could "do" Anuradharapura, Polonnaruwa and Mihintale in a day if you race around. Why not choose two of the three and have a little more time. My choice would be Polonnaruwa and Mihintale but if you research TA and google you will have information to decide what appeals most to you and your group.

You could do an early morning climb of Sigiriya [ about 2 hours] then head to Kandy with a stop at the Dambulla Cave Temples [ about 1.5 hours ] on the way. With ten people you may need a bit more time though. You'll probably arrive in Kandy early afternoon so a visit to the Temple of the Tooth - the reason most people go to Kandy - can be done in the evening. Peredeniya gardens are nice to wander around to relax but they are nothing really stunning unless you live in a totally different environment and see plants you've never seen before. Maybe save time here and spend it at Bentota.

The elephant orphanage at Pinnewala is quite a distance from Kandy - Peredeniya towards Kegalle. About 40km, I think. If you are doing 40km per hour you are going well so bear that in mind for your times. It wasn't on your list but has been mentioned . . .

By the way, if you are looking for Noritake shopping, you can do that at the showroom in Matale, the major town before Kandy.

Archi

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Srilanka 4 Nights 5 Days

Most people do either Anuradhapura/Mihintale or Polonnaruwa, but you can do Anuradhapura and Mihintale in one day. Sigiriya (early climb) and Polonnaruwa the next day.

You can visit Dambulla Temples on your way to Kandy.

Covering Kandy, Colombo and Bentota in 2 nights/3 days is too hectic IMHO. In November I would drop Bentota. You may be there on a rainy day/evening and it will really only be an overnight stay after 5 hours drive from Kandy.

Hotels in Colombo City are overpriced. You can do about same shopping in Kandy as you can do in Colombo, so why not stay an extra night in Kandy and spend the last night/day in Negombo (close to the airport and better value for money accommodation).

Hans

6. Re: Srilanka 4 Nights 5 Days

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 08:35
7. Re: Srilanka 4 Nights 5 Days

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 08:35
8. Re: Srilanka 4 Nights 5 Days

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 00:22
Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,898 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Srilanka 4 Nights 5 Days

Negombo beach is not good for swimming etc. Bentota would be better. Negombo is a good place for a last night if your flight leaves early morning.

Bangalore, India
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Srilanka 4 Nights 5 Days

Thank you all... I think i will settle with Kandy, Sigiriya, Polunwara, Colombo and Bentota :) Thanks a lot for all your advises..