We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which currency?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Which currency?

Went to get some Sri lankan rupees today but apparantley you cant get them in the UK and was advised to take dollars? Question is dollars or sterling, which are the best value for money?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,551 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which currency?

Hi Jo,

Sterling for Brits, for sure. No need at all to introduce an extra currency in between. Get the LKR on arrival at airport, banks open 24h there.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which currency?

Thank you so much. Four weeks tomorrow and really looking forward to it and can I just say thank you Erik & Sandya, you have helped answer many previous questions for me.

Edited: 07 November 2012, 20:36
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which currency?

Yes, change an initial amount at the airport and then at banks/money changers as you go around.

Always remember to get a receipt whenever you change. You will need it in case you need to re-exchange at the airport on departure.

Hans

Colchester
Level Contributor
898 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which currency?

Why is it that UK Banks keep telling you to take US dollars to Sri Lanka? Is is that they don't know their history or, as I suspect, that they can see the advantage of having to exchange sterling for dollars? A nice little earner for them!

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
9,851 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which currency?

Its a shame people don't look at the forum for information, because as I posted just a few weeks ago, this is an often asked question. There is a search button towards the top of the forum which makes it fairly easy to find the information you need.

To the original OP, before your trip in December, have a good read through the forum as there is so much useful information on here, . I would also buy either the RG (Rough Guide) or LP (lonelyPlanet) guidebook (or both) before you go, as they will also give you a lot of information

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
9,851 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which currency?

Both banks & travel agents in the UK apparently tell people to take $ (which is complete rubbish), Thats why looking at forums such as this where people who have actually been to the country is so important.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which currency?

The problem with Lonely Planet Guide (I don't know Rough Guide) is that most prices are outdated even before the guide is published.

Hans

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which currency?

How about Euros? Or is it better to bring either dollars or sterling? I've been meaning to take some cash with me to SL and withdraw from ATMs little by little when I'm there. Is that a good idea?

Edited: 08 November 2012, 10:01
newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
9,851 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which currency?

Hans, I just ignore the prices in guidebooks anyway. I suggested reading the books as an alternative good way to find out about the country, places to go & see & things to do, transport options etc. Some people prefer to read this in a book, & look at maps, rather than on a computer screen.

Bostiboy, I don't see any point in changing your currency twice. If you want to bring cash, just bring your Euro's if thats what you use, & change it when you get to Sri Lanka, or just use ATM'sin Sri Lanka to withdraw money.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which currency?

Yes, EUR are fine in Sri Lanka. Any 'western' currency can be changed at banks.

You can see which currencies are accepted here:

http://www.sampath.lk/exchangerate.php

Hans