We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will I get hassled a lot by touts/sellers?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Will I get hassled a lot by touts/sellers?

And is there a lot of scammers/dishonesty? Getting scammed is always a risk when travelling in Asia, and in some touristy areas you get hassled by people selling you souvenirs etc. Is this a big problem in the tourist sites in Sri Lanka, especially if you are not Indian/Sri Lankan in appearance? I'll be travelling alone. Also is petty crime, like theft, pick-pocketing a major problem in Colombo, Kandy.etc?

D.S Tours Day Tours
Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Chamila Tours
Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Blue Lanka Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
58,214 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will I get hassled a lot by touts/sellers?

Hi there,

1] There's lots of hassling in the larger beach resorts yes, and in e.g. Kandy and Ella. BUT they'll leave you alone if you make that clear enough right from the start, and they can be on the (public) beaches but not in the (private) hotel garden and pool areas.

2] Not a major problem but petty crime exists like everywhere. Be careful, esp. in big crowds/packed buses and trains and after dark.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Level Contributor
2,164 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will I get hassled a lot by touts/sellers?

Pick pocketing, bag slashing, zip opening - there are some very skilled operators around, especially in Kandy on the main street around Queens Hotel area. I have personal experience of being behind a family member and acting on a gut feeling when a guy smoothly managed to get between us. I shoved him and kicked him hard in the back of his knees whereupon he melted away to reveal that my daughter's back pack zipper was open but he hadn't got her wallet or other valuables which she insisted on carrying in her zipper covered type back pack.

She learned then to follow my advice even though she was 40 mumble.

It pays to be alert and think as a crook to thwart one.

3. Re: Will I get hassled a lot by touts/sellers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 10:19