We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Batticaloa to Kandy by train help!

Adelaide
Level Contributor
214 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
Batticaloa to Kandy by train help!

Hi, We are trying to plan a train journey from Batticaloa to Kandy and getting mixed info. The Government website says their is a train departing Batti at 1030 arriving Maho 1800 and the council website says there is a train departing Batti at 0715 arriving Colombo Fort at 1525 which would enable us to catch the 1635 train from col fort to Kandy. This all seems long winded. Would we be better hiring a car and driver from Batticoloa to Kandy and if so what would that roughly cost? Also how long would that take?

Your help would be appreciated.

Tks

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Batticaloa to Kandy by train help!

There no direct trains from Batticaloa to Kandy. You will need to go via Polgahawela.

www.railway.gov.lk/web/index.php…

A taxi from Batticaloa to Kandy will cost approx. LKR 15,000-16,000.

There should be direct buses from Batticaloa to Kandy or with a change in Kaduruwela (Polonnaruwa).

Hans

Adelaide
Level Contributor
214 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Batticaloa to Kandy by train help!

Thanks Hans ,

I tried the government website and when you put in batticaloa to Polgahawela it comes up as no services but it will give you a service to Colombo Fort.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
56,598 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Batticaloa to Kandy by train help!

The site is notoriously bad for the last few weeks mainly on the Trinco and Batti lines. Even when I try to Fort lots of times 'no services'.

Trust me, for all the 5+ times I've been using that train line it did stop at Polgahawela - almost unavoidable as it's a main junction along its route. You can 'extrapolate' the arrival time in case the website does show a Colombo Fort arrival time, Polgahawela will be around 90 mins earlier than Fort.

Still, it is a huge detour; bus or taxi would be a lot quicker...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Adelaide
Level Contributor
214 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Batticaloa to Kandy by train help!

Thanks Eric I think Taxi is best option, How long would that take?

Cheers

Mozza

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
56,598 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Batticaloa to Kandy by train help!

That's about 6 hours.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

6. Re: Batticaloa to Kandy by train help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 18:35
Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
60 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Batticaloa to Kandy by train help!

I think this is late reply but just for information.

There is a direct bus to Kandy leaving from Kattankudi (5KM far from batticoloa) at 0400 and reached to Kandy at 0830.

8. Re: Batticaloa to Kandy by train help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2014, 05:17