We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget guesthouses in Sri Lanka - not anymore?

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Budget guesthouses in Sri Lanka - not anymore?

Hi,

I am planning to go to Sri Lanka in April 2013. I made a couple of inquiries regarding accommodation (Haputale and Kandy). The lowest rate I got in Haputale was 4500 LKR.

Do you know if it is better to book an accommodation in advance or just wait and hit the places recommended in LP threads when I am there? Is it possible that the prices went up from 15 to 35 usd in just one year?

Thanks,

P.

Mentioned in this post
Haputale
Haputale
Uva Province, Sri Lanka
Kandy
Kandy
Kandy District, Sri Lanka
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget guesthouses in Sri Lanka - not anymore?

Yes, that's possible.

Be aware of Sinhala/Tamil New year in April. Many families from Colombo head for the hills (Kandy, N'Eliya, Haputale, Ella) and prices go up or places will be fully booked long in advance.

Hans

Edited: 27 November 2012, 12:20
Mentioned in this post
Colombo
Colombo
Western Province, Sri Lanka
Kandy
Kandy
Kandy District, Sri Lanka
Haputale
Haputale
Uva Province, Sri Lanka
Ella
Ella
Uva Province, Sri Lanka
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
59,340 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget guesthouses in Sri Lanka - not anymore?

Asking prices indeed sometimes went up that extremely, yes. However when there are enough rooms still bargaining down is well possible. For instance last month, October, I could still get a good room with even hot water in U'tuna, RO basis, for only Rs 1,000; 200 m from the beach. But that's low season, April is total peak season for the hill country.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Brisbane
Level Contributor
2,260 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget guesthouses in Sri Lanka - not anymore?

Yes - prices have gone way up.

My own experience recently is that many guesthouse owners would be happy to have empty rooms, sometimes 100% empty, than to negotiate down. Our enquiries, made my the Sri Lankan half of our marriage resulted in prices ranging from Rs 5000 - Rs 7000 for room only in Dambulla and Jaffna and these were lesser rated guesthouses. On one occasion Rs 25000 per room was agreed but when I turned up a little later an angry demand was made for Rs5000 each room with the guy saying that I should have been there at the start, not after the bags were brought in! We left without staying and he lost 2 rooms for three nights.

Other places where we often stay had increased their prices for HB by Rs1000 within 10 months.

Erik - I may ask you for a recommendation for the guesthouses you mentioned next year!

Archi

Edited: 27 November 2012, 14:20
Mentioned in this post
Dambulla
Dambulla
Central Province, Sri Lanka
Jaffna
Jaffna
Northern Province, Sri Lanka
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
59,340 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget guesthouses in Sri Lanka - not anymore?

Hi Archi,

Happy to recommend (The) South Ceylon guesthouse in U'tuna. Owners told me Rs 1,000 'at some distance from the beach' for low season is still commonplace there though I'm afraid many competitors of theirs don't have hot water for that price...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

5. Re: Budget guesthouses in Sri Lanka - not anymore?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 04:16