We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Attitudes to visitors with Tamilian routes

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Attitudes to visitors with Tamilian routes

I am a mixed raced Scottish traveler. My father is South African, but of Indian origin, my mother is Scottish and my name is Tamilian

I have to say the recent BBC documentary on the Killing fields in Sri Lanka did shock me to the core. Having already booked my tickets I have convinced myself to go with an open mind and to try and take part in some charity work whilst I'm there.

I just want to know what the situation is with race relations at a basic level? Should I be cautious etc.

Thank you

Nalini

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
495 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Attitudes to visitors with Tamilian routes

I will be spending New Year's in Colombo with 14 South Indian friends, many of whom have been to Sri Lanka before. They have no concerns about going, nor do the Indian nationals who post on this forum.

I am not an expert on SL but, based upon this, I doubt that you have anything to worry about. You'll be in tourist areas.

I would, of course, avoid political discussions, but thatis just common sense.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Attitudes to visitors with Tamilian routes

Hi Nalkate

I agree with Taureg. Avoid political comments on any topic.

Have a great trip!

Archi

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,168 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Attitudes to visitors with Tamilian routes

In Colombo, as recently researched, only 30% or so of the population is Sinhalese which means 70% is Tamil/Muslim and hence speaks Tamil language. No worries in Lanka as long as one avoids touchy subjects. Much of the documentaries etc. are true but it's all 'hidden' racism/oppression (not purely on racial lines, muc more complex) and won't bother the tourists. With one exception: if travelling with car/driver through a predominantly Tamil area, North/East, be sure the driver is fluent in Tamil otherwise quite some troubles...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Attitudes to visitors with Tamilian routes

I went to Passikudah and Batticaloa a couple of years ago. Driver only spoke Sinhala. No problems whatsoever.

Hans

Colombo
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Attitudes to visitors with Tamilian routes

Sri Lanka is a peaceful country, and all the ethnic groups are living in the same community, there are not fragmentation or certain areas defined as certain race community, when you come here only realized media at time may lead you totally wrong direction. you will be safe as long as if you give no room for others to take advantage over you.

Panadura, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
589 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Attitudes to visitors with Tamilian routes

Hi Nalini,

I would say Sri Lanka is very much peaceful.

Me being s Sinhalese know that there is no such attitude or concern with regards to Tamils. I have heard of these fake videos which are mostly exaggerated due to political influence and to earn an advantage for certain organizations. If you come to Sri Lanka you will realize there is very little truth behind those. We have many friends who are Tamil and we never have any issues...

By the way, your name is a common Sinhalase name as well (Nalini).

Avoid any political comments/activities within Sri Lanka and you will be as safe as in Scottland :)

cheers

Tharindu

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Attitudes to visitors with Tamilian routes

Thank you for your reassuring messages.

Nalini

8. Re: Attitudes to visitors with Tamilian routes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2013, 06:16