We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prices

Izegem, Belgium
Level Contributor
835 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Prices

I was wondering what prices are like in Sri Lanka for drinks (tea,coffee,soft drinks etc.)?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,600 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prices

Hi there,

Depends quite a lot between local restaurant, 1-star guesthouse, 5-star hotel. On average (e.g. roadside tourist restaurant) maybe Rs 150 for a soft drink, Rs 200-250 for a fresh juice, Rs 100 for a cup of tea. Same soft drink in supermarket or local restaurant Rs 50.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Antarctica
Level Contributor
491 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Prices

Rs 100 for a cup of tea is a robbery.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,600 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prices

Absolutely, but don't forget that in restaurant business 25% of the cost should be the bare ingredients and 75% rent, salaries, electricity etc. Hence prices can vary a lot depending on how luxury/clean it is. Same cuppa tea in a local restaurant ('hotel') indeed something like Rs 20-30 but no Westerner would want to drink/eat anything unboiled/freshly baked in such a local restaurant.....

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,898 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prices

Hello Hiker

I agree with Eric.

The same pricing scenario applies to guesthouses too and while I protest by walking out and reporting on extreme price demands, I know that some of the low price expectations would leave GH owners/managers out of pocket. As a business woman and traveller I wouldn't like to do that myself.

I often eat at local bakeries, hopper stands etc and have never had a problem. This is obviously the way to go if you want cheap and also more authentic local food. The trick is to pick a place that is very busy, cooking on the spot ie hoppers. Soft drinks etc can be bought at a variety of small shops at local prices. I pay Rs150 or so there for sprite , creaming soda etc.

Rs100 is less than AUD1 Probably about 80 cents. A cup of tea and coffee where I live costs a minimum $4 now, commensurate with costs so Rs100 seems right. If my memory is correct it is also the standard price for locals in bakeries and "hotels" ie small restaurants.

Another tip: If you don't want to pay hotel prices for tea and coffee get your own water heater plunger thingy and take a few teabags and coffee. I use one when in transit or places where I can't get tea etc just when we need it ie early hours of the morning.

Archi

Izegem, Belgium
Level Contributor
835 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prices

Thank You for the hepl

6. Re: Prices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2014, 05:17