We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cigarettes

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
278 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Cigarettes

Anyone answer a question about cigarettes I have read you cannot take them into the country so are they cheap and easy to buy while in Sri Lanka,also can you bring them out of the country many thanks

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
57,566 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cigarettes

Hi there,

Search the forum, e.g. threads like this

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g304136-i9879-k575…

Yes you CAN take them out, they're even agressively being sold in dutyfree outbound at airport. But not inbound.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
696 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cigarettes

what? I am not allowed to bring in a carton of cigarettes into the country? Anyone know the limit allowed?

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cigarettes

NO import of ANY tobacco products is allowed, you will get away with one or two opened 20s packs to tide you over till you find a outlet selling them..

Regards

Dave

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
696 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cigarettes

That's a downer.... Thanks for the advice. I guess the wife will have to carry a couple packs for me too heh.

London, United...
Level Contributor
330 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cigarettes

Bloody hell, I didn't realise you couldn't bring cigs into Sri Lanka,

How easy is it to buy "REAL" B & H?

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cigarettes

The prices in reply # 1 is long outdated. Prices are now LKR 400-580 for 20.

It's quite easy to buy 'real' Benson & Hedges. They cost LKR 540 for 20.

Hans

Rutherglen
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cigarettes

Chance it and bring them in' I did and glad I did.

Although not exactly looking for cigarettes when out and about, I didnt see anywhere to puchase them other than the hotel which had a choice of 2 brands.

If going through Dubai the cost of 200 is $20 and same price when leaving Sri Lanka.

8. Re: Cigarettes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2014, 07:18