We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beyond Bali: The next paradise

Colombo, Sri Lanka
4 posts
Save Topic
Beyond Bali: The next paradise

The following interesting article about Sri Lanka was published in Australia media a few days ago.

theage.com.au/travel/activity/great-outdoors…

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,546 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beyond Bali: The next paradise

Can't understand how they call it cut-price, if the current accomodation prices for e.g. a 5-star are about double of that in Bali. But anyhow the journalist went on a trip sponsored by a travel agent ;-)

Tnx anyhow,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Panadura, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
589 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beyond Bali: The next paradise

Erik - I think you meant it's the other way around. 5 star hotel prices in Bali are double the price of Sri Lanka.

I checked in Agoda and most of top rated 5 star hotels in Bali are 400$ ++

Then I checked in SL for one close to Galle and they are mostly around 200$

cheers

Tharindu

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,546 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beyond Bali: The next paradise

Sorry Tharindu,

5-stars in Bali would probably qualify as 6+ stars in Lanka, similar to Vil Uyana, Amangalla, Amanwela.

Took another sample, 4-stars.

Singapore: about 130 EUR

Same day Bintan island Indonesia, 20 mins by ferry: 70 EUR

Same day Candidasa Bali: 70 EUR

Same day Sri Lanka: 110-120 EUR (e.g. Chaaya Tranz or Citrus Hikkaduwa)

Not to say that the Indonesians can more or match Singapore level in terms of quality, whilst the Lankans could maybe count as 2-3 stars in Singapore (= Western) standards...

Tnx,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,925 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beyond Bali: The next paradise

Tharinduc

Sadly I have to say that the hotel accommodation prices definitely do not match those of the same standards that I have stayed at in Thailand and Malaysia. In Cambodia and Laos, two countries recovering infrastructure and life after protracted wars and genoicide - also left us feeling satisfied with their hospitality and costs. Not so Sri Lanka, which IMHO, is definitely not a cut price destination. [I have not been to Viet Nam, Hong Kong or Singapore recently enough to comment on the situtation in those countries.]

To balance my comments here please note that I have previously pointed out that IMO some tourists expect accommodation at such low prices that the GH operators would almost be out of pocket.

I, too, love the country however when love is blind problems occur. I will be unsurprised when eventually SL loses its current share of the tourism due to wrong ideas about foreign people's tolerance of high prices with little to show in the way of services. If the scattered passengers on flights I have been on in the past 18 months [ 3 inward and 3 outward] and dearth of tourists at the important sites that I was showing my friends around plus being told that site charges vary to match currency rates are anything to go by, I think this slide may have begun already.

Respectfully

Archi

5. Re: Beyond Bali: The next paradise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2014, 06:17