We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Google Maps travel times... how inaccurate?

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
18 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Google Maps travel times... how inaccurate?

I'm trying to plan my mini-vacation and I've got most of it settled. For planning purposes... exactly how inaccurate is google maps estimated travel times? For example, people on the forums have said it takes about 5 hours to get from the airport to sirigiriya, but google maps gives an estimate of 2.5 hours.

Should I just double google maps estimates?

Thanks!

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Google Maps travel times... how inaccurate?

Google maps are using average speeds of 60-70 km.

Realistic average speed in Sri Lanka are 35-40 km ( in the hills even down to 30-35 km) - except on Southern Expressway where maximum speed is 100 km/h.

Hans

Crawley, United...
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Google Maps travel times... how inaccurate?

Hi there,

Google maps indicate only the distance but not accurate. They do not take the exact mileage. but instead take a straight line from one location to the other.

they do not calculate the bends and turns as indicated in the map.

Caren

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Google Maps travel times... how inaccurate?

Distances on Google maps are quite accurate.

Hans

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
18 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Google Maps travel times... how inaccurate?

Hans - that is what I thought re:speeds.

Thanks.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Google Maps travel times... how inaccurate?

Hi Gummy

Just to be sure you know - you DO need to double your travel times except for the Expressway. On the main roads between tourist visited places this is largely because of the variety of traffic on the roads and congestion in the towns. Once you get off the main roads you will encounter narrow roads shared with ferocious buses, daring tuktuks, people walking, animals and massive potholes. Of course these are on the main roads too but the condition of these is usually better. These roads are described as "carpet" by the locals.

If you are not fretting about time your trip can be a lot of fun. Have your camera ready to get some interesting pictures.

Have fun!

Archi

6. Re: Google Maps travel times... how inaccurate?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2014, 05:17