We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Methodist pastor + outdoor wedding ceremony

Toronto
2 posts
Save Topic
Methodist pastor + outdoor wedding ceremony

I'm getting married in Sri Lanka in Jan 2014. My fiance is Buddhist; I'm Methodist. We've been having some difficulty trying to find a pastor who is willing to officiate with a full Methodist service in the garden of a hotel.

We have been told that because my fiance is Buddhist, the Methodist Church will not grant us a full Methodist service, regardless of whether the wedding takes place in a church or outdoors. Rather, we will only be provided with a blessings ceremony.

Does anyone out there have any insight or experience with this?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Methodist pastor + outdoor wedding ceremony

Hello Chayanthi

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage.

Just to say that when I lived in Sri Lanka I found the Christian churches stuck to the rules without exception. I married a SL Buddhist in SL 46 years ago and we opted for a Civil Marriage followed by the Cultural one which was very special. As we left SL a few years after that and have not lived there since, that special ceremony is something that bonds us to each other and to Sri Lanka.

Maybe you might consider having a Methodist marriage in your current home town and a cultural marriage in Sri Lanka. That would be in line culturally with Sri Lanka as the SL engagement is actually the Civil Marriage contract with the "wedding" occurring at a later date.

My blog has a post of a recent family engagement.

…blogspot.com.au/2012/10/engaged-to-be-marri…

Good Luck with your search and decisions.

Archi

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Methodist pastor + outdoor wedding ceremony

Hi Chayanthi,

Congratulations!

Yes its true that you will only be getting half mass in a catholic, Methodist or any other church in Sri Lanka mostly if your partner is a non christian. My parents had a half mass many many years ago since my father didnt convert.

Archi has given good advise on top, so the choice is yours.

I hope you will have memories to cherish a life time with wonderful ceremony.

Rgds,

Treshi.

Toronto
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Methodist pastor + outdoor wedding ceremony

Thanks so much to both of you for responding. You've definitely given me something to think about...I think we may just have to do the civil garden wedding as I was advised. Many thanks and take care.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Methodist pastor + outdoor wedding ceremony

Hi again, Chayanthi

Just to had that my daughter's fiance's family were Catholic and she married in a Catholic church but not the usual mass. Not in Sri Lanka, of course.

They then incorporated some of the symbolism including lighting the lamp, offering food, drums etc at the reception venue. That was 13 years ago and friends still talk to me about how beautiful and sincere their wedding was with the blending of two cultures. It was certainly another day to cherish.

Have a really special wedding. Good Luck.

Archi

5. Re: Methodist pastor + outdoor wedding ceremony

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 March 2014, 05:16